Author Topic: Help/suggestions please to find death: Dinah RONSON nee Bell b 1841 at Maryport  (Read 4340 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Do you mean on registration certificates or within the institutions own records.
The patients were anonymised by using initials on census returns for some institutions.

Your suggestion of a second 'marriage' or co-habitation with marriage [which was really common] is a good one, have you looked on 1871/81 censuses for Dinah & variations, no surname, born 1842/3 Maryport?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help/suggestions please to find death: Dinah RONSON nee Bell b 1841 at Maryport
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 March 18 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if she had any siblings she could have gone to?

As her mother was presumably Ann Bell nee Nicholason before she became Seward and has remarried by the time Dinah is 8 there could be older children especially as Ann is 46 in 1851. 

Is there a Joseph Seward marriage to Ann Bell 1842-1851?  I don't see one.

What about her parents Thomas and Ann Bell in 1841 to see who they have in the household.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help/suggestions please to find death: Dinah RONSON nee Bell b 1841 at Maryport
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is right 1841 but Maryport

Thomas Bell 35
Ann 35
Hannah 15
Elizabeth 11
William 9 months

There's a Thomas Bell who is 40 dies in 1844 which would leave Ann free to remarry but just speculation. 

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 March 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »

Your suggestion of a second 'marriage' or co-habitation with marriage [which was really common] is a good one, have you looked on 1871/81 censuses for Dinah & variations, no surname, born 1842/3 Maryport?

Thank you Josey.

Did you mean cohabitation WITHOUT marriage?

Great suggestion. Just done that and found a definite possible.

Dinah Hodgson born Maryport aged 28 (born 1843) in 1871 Married (allegedly) to Issac Hodgson aged 56 Coal miner, listed in Greysouthen (which is quite near to Maryport). They have 5 children aged between 8 (born 1863) and 7 months (born 1870).

Proving this is my Dinah, I suspect will be tough. I think if I can find a marriage with an unrecognised surname it probably kills that possibility. If I cant find a marriage then maybe they are just cohabiting and she is using his surname. Is this likely?

Anyhow you are all teaching me well how to investigate thoroughly and regardless of the outcome of this particular fix, I am certainly learning lots. Big thank you to all.

Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 March 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
What you can do is look up the births for the Hodgson children and see if the mothers maiden name is Bell. 

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 March 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
1861 Cockermouth has this marriage

Isaac Hodgson
Dinah Wordsworth

The 1871 has a little nephew called Josiah Wordsworth so that doesn't seem to be your Dinah sadly.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Milliepede,

I am very impressed. I looked on ancestry myself for all Isaac Hodgson marriages between 1855 and 1875. I found 38 but looking at the other names on the records, including those for 1861 in Cockermouth, I could not see any record of a Dinah in the other persons listed.

However, your research seems to have nailed it which isnt a bad thing at all. That lead is eliminated and I have learned more about how to do this research. Can you help me to understand how you found the marriage?

Thanks again.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course,  you can search for births, marriages and deaths on a site called FreeBMD which as the name suggests is completely free to use! 

Have a look at it and you will soon see how useful it is.  For marriages you can put in a name husband or wife, choose what year to search or range of years and search by county or by registration place.

It's an invaluable tool and the first one I ever used when I started researching. 

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Can you help me to understand how you found the marriage?

Don't use Ancestry ... use Free BMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Search ...
Marriages
Hodgson
Isaac
Din
in Cumberland and Find

Click on the page number (749)

Finds the 1861 marriage ... this is only a month or two after the RONSONs were apparently happily married.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.