Author Topic: Car owner records dublin late 1800's/1900's  (Read 4857 times)

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Car owner records dublin late 1800's/1900's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi grizzly1,
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread but I'm hoping you may be able to help me. There are two stories that my cousins have told me. One is that someone in the family ran a jaunting car business (possibly near the coast outside north dublin) and the second is that someone in the family had a motor car in the early 1900s. It's possible that both stories refer to the same person or that one person had a horse and cart whilst the other had a car. It's also possible that I have misheard or misunderstood ;D Anyway I wonder if you would be able to have a look for me. The most likely names could be Joseph Cowan, Martin Delaney, Joseph Byrne or James Gaffney. It could also be one of my many Sinnott, Conlon or Duffy ancestors. As you can see I really am flailing about in the dark and would be grateful if you could have a look for me.
Pet50ite
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline gerryads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 March 18 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I  think Hallmark is misunderstanding what the term car means.The word car can refer to HORSE drawn vechicles. Mototorised cars in the modern sense only began to arrive in Ireland in the early  1900s  But I  have seen records where the occupation for some of my ancestors is refeared to as "car owner"or "car man" as early as I870.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 March 18 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi grizzly1,
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread but I'm hoping you may be able to help me. There are two stories that my cousins have told me. One is that someone in the family ran a jaunting car business (possibly near the coast outside north dublin) and the second is that someone in the family had a motor car in the early 1900s. It's possible that both stories refer to the same person or that one person had a horse and cart whilst the other had a car. It's also possible that I have misheard or misunderstood ;D Anyway I wonder if you would be able to have a look for me. The most likely names could be Joseph Cowan, Martin Delaney, Joseph Byrne or James Gaffney. It could also be one of my many Sinnott, Conlon or Duffy ancestors. As you can see I really am flailing about in the dark and would be grateful if you could have a look for me.
Pet50ite

I do see a Patrick Sinnott of Blessington Court listed in 1890 (Livery Commission,Hunting, Training establishment) apart from that there is no mention of other's, basically I believe this liist I have was made up by a person who took the time to record the various Coachmaker's-'Car' owner's that may have been mentioned on various public documents such as the newspaper's etc over a period of time dating back as far as 1700s...as can imagine it would not be a complete list of all those who made a living from the 'Car's'/Jarveys etc.

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 March 18 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you grizzly1 for looking. At the weekend I will spend a bit of time seeing if there is any coonection between this Patrick Sinnott and my family. I really appreciate that you took the time to look for me.
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 March 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dathai. At a glance they don't appear to be connected to my lot. I think I have looked at that family before and ruled them out. I will double check again tomorrow. Thanks again for the links.

Offline gerryads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 March 18 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daithai
I have looked at Patrick Sinnott. All of the birth records for his children I can find and all give his occupation as horse  dealer. I have looked at  couple of the other surnames pol50ite gave and there a number of possibillities  on the 1901 census.But I would like to get back to the original post regarding licencing records.In my opinion they would have been issued by local authorities such as Dublin Corporation.I  d'ont know what information was included on these records but it might not be significant .It may be better to look for information from other sources  such as court records newspapers etc.

Offline robertvillesearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 September 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Grizzly1.  Could I ask you to check your list for my GGGF?  He is mentioned as George Smyth car owner on my GGF William Smyth's marraige certificate in 1876.  William Smyth his son lists his address as 62 UPr Dominick Street but I dont think this was the family home.  I assume George was based in Dublin though.  Many many thanks. 

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 September 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Grizzly1.  Could I ask you to check your list for my GGGF?  He is mentioned as George Smyth car owner on my GGF William Smyth's marraige certificate in 1876.  William Smyth his son lists his address as 62 UPr Dominick Street but I dont think this was the family home.  I assume George was based in Dublin though.  Many many thanks.

Hi, I found 3 Smith's/Smyths listed from various year's.

1820.. James Smith 81 Townsend St, listed as Horse shoer & Farrier.

1850..John Smyth, 25 Princes St North (Car Owner)

1939..P, Smith, 128 North King St.

Hope you can tie the names listed into your search .