Author Topic: Stumped by T-M70 Haplogroup for McQuire  (Read 1913 times)

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Stumped by T-M70 Haplogroup for McQuire
« on: Friday 09 March 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

Maybe some DNA sleuth on here can suss this out. I would think it would be fairly easy, but its hurting my head.

For years I've been tracing my McQuire line in England. The line has always been a mystery. as far as we know my Great Grandfather Arthur George McQuire was an only child of George McQuire and Susannah Weatherhead McQuire of Staines and formerly of Ashford, Kent. Henry MacQuire (1813) MAY be another generation back, but no proof. Family wants to believe they go back to the MacQuarrie clan of Ulva, but since there have been many MANY misspellings though the years (MacQuire, McGuire, McWire, McQuor, Quire, etc etc etc- I've seen them all)who knows! Maybe we were originally a McGuire from Ireland and someone misspelled it as McQuire....

Anyway, Since there is one McQuire left in my line and he has no children I asked him to take a familytreedna test and he graciously agreed. I figured I'd go the DNA route to solve the mystery.

I excepted a similar results to my Taylor line which has hundreds of matches and goes back in the UK for thousands of years.... I was sort of bowled over when I saw his halogroup and realized its fairly uncommon. As a matter of fact, he has only 8 Y-DNA matches and they are all here in the American south.  That SHOULD be a good thing right? Find the earliest US McQuire, see when they came over, then when I get to England, trace forward from the 18th century, instead of back.

So first question.. if I'm incorrect you can stop reading and just type back, "you're wrong"...

We only took the Y-37 test for familytreedna.... Any matches I have would be straight down the paternal line, correct? father to son to grandfather etc etc? So we would have to share a direct male ancestor?

If that is correct, here is the first mystery... I've written all 8 people.... at first I was getting responses of No McQuire/McQuire in our trees... seems the most frequent surname is Baker or Leeds.... So I'm thinking.. Maybe we aren't McQuire's after all... Maybe there was a baby Baker or a Leeds 200 years ago adopted by a McQuire and the name when down to line to my cousin with us all thinking we originated from the McQuire...

Finally, One of my matches responded in the affirmative.. He had  McQuire/McGuire (I've posted line below....) Hurray!! Breakthrough! Not..

Bring on the next Mystery...

This person states his Ancestors are as follows....

Zachariah McGuire(1730–) Born in Virginia - Died in Georgia
Thomas (Thompson) Mcquire(1770-1840) - Possibly married to Margaret Hayes 1795 Georgia
Martha Patsy Mcquire(1795-1860) - married a William Hilley

Father/Son/granddaughter...

That can't be accurate match for my Y-DNA can it??

Here are the earliest ancestors of our 8 familytreeDNA matches. No living peoples names shown...

Genetic Distance 0   
 Y-DNA67    FF   
James Leeds, b c1695   T-M70

0 Genetic Distance
Y-DNA67       
John Baker, b 1603, England   T-M70

0 - Genetic Distance   
Y-DNA111    FF   
William J Baker, b.1811 and d. 1879   T-M70   

1 - distance   
Jn C Cox
Y-DNA37    FF   
T-M70      

1 - distance   
 Y-DNA37       
William John Murphey, b. 1798 Vg. d. 1863 Mo.   T-M70

1- distance   
Y-DNA37       
Bartholomew Baker 1621 Eng-? Richmond, VA   T-M70   

1 - distance   
Y-DNA37       
James Terry Baker 1791 SC-1850 MS   T-M70   

So there is definitely a Leeds-Baker-McQuire/McGuire connection. Don't know where the Cox came from... just not sure how that would work, unless for example, a Baker or Leeds child was adopted by a McQuire......

Anyone that can at all help i would be most appreciative! Thank you
David

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stumped by T-M70 Haplogroup for McQuire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Some thoughts.

I would consider at some point updating the yDNA test from 37 to at least 67 markers as this will give more accurate indications re a match. They do sales every now and again when it will be cheaper to do.

There are three "Mcquire" project groups on ftDNA have you compared the results you have to all three projects ?

it is possible some of the matches you have are the result of a non parental event on your line or the other persons line

I know we are looking at the y chromosome here but it may be worth finding out if these matches have done an autosomal test and put their results on gedmatch.com (its free) where they can be compared not only to ftDNA testers but people who tested with other companies too.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Some thoughts.

I would consider at some point updating the yDNA test from 37 to at least 67 markers as this will give more accurate indications re a match. They do sales every now and again when it will be cheaper to do.

There are three "Mcquire" project groups on ftDNA have you compared the results you have to all three projects ?

it is possible some of the matches you have are the result of a non parental event on your line or the other persons line

I know we are looking at the y chromosome here but it may be worth finding out if these matches have done an autosomal test and put their results on gedmatch.com (its free) where they can be compared not only to ftDNA testers but people who tested with other companies too.

Thanks David...

I added him to a MacQuarrie project which has lots of McGuires and every one of them has a "R" halogroup. I'll look into the the Y67- How will that make the match any clearer? I also want to stay away from the familyfinder for him since I'm not really interested in his maternal line and it will just make the job harder I think?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
The reason I suggested the yDNA67 test is that by testing more markers it gives a more accurate interpretation of any match. I originally tested at yDNA37 level but when I upgraded to yDNA67 a lot of the matches I had at level 37 being a full 37/37 or a 36/37 match then dropped off at the 67 level and showed they were not really a match worth pursuing as any match would be so far back you could not make a paper trail to support in most cases.

The reason I had suggested the familyfinder is it is what you need to upload results to Gedmatch and similar sites. Yes I know it includes all lines but sometimes these are useful for eliminating possible matches that turn out not to be matches. Even if you don't do it now it is something you could put on the back burner to reconsider later if need be.

Another though have you run the results through Ysearch (details on the ftDNA site) where they can compare the results with people who have tested elsewhere and so may throw up some more matches.

Oh and final thing I did my yDNA test five years ago and to date no helpful results but maybe one day ......
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline CynthiaDisatham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
My Jeremiah Baker b 1777 and lived in Elbert co georgia for 20 years matches the baker dna you refer to.  Possible father Samuel baker.  Samuel baker Elbert co georgia lives on cold water creek.  Land records with Allegheny McGuire (Miegany mcgtiire) in 1800.  Sgt Allegany McGuire born 6 aug 1757 Cumberland co va died 28 June 1843 McNair’s co tenn. he was in Elbert co georgia census of 1790 to 1810. In revolution under generals Lincoln and gates.  It’s nice to meet a genetic cousin.

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 21:25 GMT (UK) »
The reason I suggested the yDNA67 test is that by testing more markers it gives a more accurate interpretation of any match. I originally tested at yDNA37 level but when I upgraded to yDNA67 a lot of the matches I had at level 37 being a full 37/37 or a 36/37 match then dropped off at the 67 level and showed they were not really a match worth pursuing as any match would be so far back you could not make a paper trail to support in most cases.

The reason I had suggested the familyfinder is it is what you need to upload results to Gedmatch and similar sites. Yes I know it includes all lines but sometimes these are useful for eliminating possible matches that turn out not to be matches. Even if you don't do it now it is something you could put on the back burner to reconsider later if need be.

Another though have you run the results through Ysearch (details on the ftDNA site) where they can compare the results with people who have tested elsewhere and so may throw up some more matches.

Oh and final thing I did my yDNA test five years ago and to date no helpful results but maybe one day ......

Just an update... I finally upgraded to Y-111 and today just ordered Y-500. I'm thinking there must have been something like an illegitimate birth or something at some point

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
My Jeremiah Baker b 1777 and lived in Elbert co georgia for 20 years matches the baker dna you refer to.  Possible father Samuel baker.  Samuel baker Elbert co georgia lives on cold water creek.  Land records with Allegheny McGuire (Miegany mcgtiire) in 1800.  Sgt Allegany McGuire born 6 aug 1757 Cumberland co va died 28 June 1843 McNair’s co tenn. he was in Elbert co georgia census of 1790 to 1810. In revolution under generals Lincoln and gates.  It’s nice to meet a genetic cousin.

Good to meet you. I just ordered a Y-500 test. Maybe you can encourage any of the male Baker line to take DNA tests!! :-)

Offline Seanymac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Sounds to me like you are a baker that surname changed to mcquire sometime in the past. By a non paternal event as they say. Basically adoption. I'm curious about your big y dna test. Have you taken an autosomal test too? Ibjabe done both. The autosomal with ancestry. I'd love to here how you made out