Author Topic: Unmarried Mums  (Read 815 times)

Offline mickreed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unmarried Mums
« on: Friday 09 March 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My dad was born in 1914 before his parents married. His father was fighting in France so there was no choice really. On Dad's birth certificate, his mum's residence is shown as 4 Liverpool Street in north London.

Now there were two Liverpool Streets in the relevant area at the time. One was a little residential street and the other housed - in Number 4 - the London Female Preventative and Reformatory Institution which was, I think, a home for unmarried mothers at this time. So, I suspect that's where she was.

I have been unable to find Dad's baptism. Loads of likely registers have been searched. All his younger siblings were baptised together, in the 1920s when the family had left London, so the fact that he wasn't suggests he had already been christened. I also have a picture of him at a few weeks old in what looks like a christening robe. He was also also confirmed around 1929 which required prior baptism.

So, my question is, does anyone know whether priests visited homes for unmarried mums to do things like baptisms, and if so, where any records might be found?

Mick

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unmarried Mums
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Did find a baptism for a William Partridge Reed with mother Eleanor in Marylebone born 26th March 1914, baptisedApril29th 1914.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk