Author Topic: Phillip James Anderson, RCAF  (Read 1313 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Phillip James Anderson, RCAF
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 March 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Super finds DB and Eileen :)

Obituary for Thelma's mother in the Globe and Mail.  She was Mary Watson Page nee Hallstones.  Wife of the late Hugh J Page.  Mother of.... Mrs P J Anderson (Thelma).....  interment Mount Pleasant Cemetery.  She died June 12 1961.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 March 18 18:18 GMT (UK) »
In 1957 (the next update of the voters' list), Mary is living at the same address, but Philip is not with her.  There is a Philip living relatively close by at 164 Cheritan Avenue, Apt. 1, working as a stock broker, along with a Mrs. Thelma Anderson, so perhaps he married in the interim.

By 1963, this Philip and Thelma have moved and are living at 24 Knightswood Road.
In 1953, the Philip J Anderson at 1520 Bathurst (with his mother) is a stockbroker at G H Rennie.  (Toronto City Directory)

In the 1957 directory, the Philip J Anderson ot 164 Cheritan Ave is a stockbroker with G H Rennie and Co.

In the 1963 Toronto Directory, Philp J Anderson of 24 Knightswood Road is pres. of G H Rennie and Co. 

Must be the same Philip.

Toronto Directories are here... for free :) :)
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/history-genealogy/lh-digital-city-directories.jsp

RK

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 March 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Well done RK and Eileen. :)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 March 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, DB.  Good work on your part too!

By 1966, Philip is working for John C. Allen & Co.  Still living at the Knightswood Rd. address.
I lose him after 1967.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 March 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Philip J Anderson and his partner I R Wookey (at G H Rennie and Co) were facing some allegations in the mid 1960s .... I won't post the details here.  If you are interested, you can see the newspaper articles in the Toronto Star and Globe and Mail. 

If you can view this book online...it is helpful in understanding what happened.  It says T J Anderson.. but should be P J Anderson.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lqg/

In an article from 1968 it says both Wookey and Anderson had been granted a new registration by the OSC (Ontario Securities Commission) to be partners with J C Allen Ltd. (I think that happened in 1963/4).   It appears that there was no criminal wrongdoing... :) :)

RK

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 March 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Google brings up the online book that discusses it as well.  Insider trading wasn't illegal back then!

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 March 18 19:26 GMT (UK) »
1911 Census Waterville, Compton, Quebec

Anderson, Alexander D., age 28, b. Scotland, assistant postmaster, immigration yr. 1904
Anderson, Mary, 27, b. Scotland, immigration 1904
Anderson, Robert, 5, b. Quebec
Anderson, Philip, 1, b. Quebec, b. Aug. 1909
Anderson, Ernest, 23, b. Scotland, brother, brass worker, immigration yr. 1908
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=27910

DB

I found an obituary for a Mary Ann Anderson... mother of Philip and Robert.  She died at the Riverdale Hospital (in Toronto...the south eastern part), on July 16 1965.  This might be Philip J's mother??  No indication of where she was buried (cremation). 

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh boy, you folks are great!

Many thanks to DB, RK and Eileen for all this info. I have to admit I was rather surprised to read that book excerpt.

My thanks again.

DTD