Author Topic: Robert Orlando Peterson, RCAF  (Read 3399 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Orlando Peterson, RCAF
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
The housewife listed with Robert O in the 1945 Revelstoke entry that Sandra posted is possibly his stepmother, not his actual wife, as per a mention of her in that link I gave.

Starting in 1949, there is a printer, Robert Peterson (no middle initial) living in Edmonton, Alberta. There are several voter lists with him, and a wife through to the early 70's.  The wife was just named as Mrs Robert Peterson on the earlier ones, but one later one has her as Veda, and another Boca. (I'm going by memory here, it was very late when I found them last night!)

However, I just looked at the 1953 city directory for Edmonton, and the printer Robert DOES have the middle initial of O in the directory (and his wife is Beth). http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/2962.47/1156.html

I will go back and get the addresses etc from the voters lists and repost when I get all the info.

As to the publication in 1962, as it has an 11 in front of it.... could it be an article in the Canadian Legion magazine published Nov 1962, or it's Polish counterpart?

Edit to add 1949 directory, wife is Vila.  http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/2962.43/694.html

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 March 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
A follow-up to my last post:

1949 Robert Peterson, printer and Mrs. Robert Peterson  9319 93rd Street, Edmonton (East)

1957 and 1958 Robert Peterson, printer, and Mrs. Veta Peterson 9319 93rd Avenue, Edmonton (Strathcona)  (I think someone goofed with putting Ave instead of Street)

1965 Robert Peterson, printer, and Mrs. Veta Peterson, kindergarten operator, 9319 93rd Avenue, Edmonton (Strathcona) 9483 75th St., Edmonton-Strathcona

1972  Robert Peterson, printer, and Mrs. Veta Peterson, kindergarten operator, 9319 93rd Avenue, Edmonton (Strathcona) 9483 75th St., Edmonton-Strathcona

I know I've missed at least one, (as I can't refind the one with wife Boca) but I can't find any "for sure" entries after the 1972. (I don't think the Edmonton ones go past 1974, but maybe a library there has old phone books?)  There is a lot of Robert Petersons!

Food for thought.... he worked for the newspaper Edmonton Journal.  Perhaps that is where that publication in 1962 appeared.  Unfortunately, the google archives does not have the issues for Nov 1962.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Looks like this is him.... entry into the USA at Idaho in 1939 (in transit to BC).

Says he was born in Sudbury, Ontario in 1919.  (But he says he is 25 years old...so that would make his birth year 1914).  He is printer.  Last permanent residence is Banff Alberta.  Father is Frank L (I think that is an L).   He lived in New York City for 2 years when he was a child.

A possible,

Going with father Frank L., there is a death of Frank L. Peterson in Banff in 1943.

There is an online tree, Frank Louie Peterson, aka Lars Persson Frank, with an obit for him...survived by wife Agnes, two daughters Mrs. J. Newfield, Vancouver, Miss Beverly Joan Peterson, Banff, and three sons Frank, Banff, Albert of Tilley and LAC Robert Peterson, RCAF Belleville, Ontario.

Also noted on that tree, on death of his sister Esther Edna in 1953 (Mrs. Newfield) Robert was living in Edmonton.
Added: Find a Grave for Esther with obit.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/50087338

1911 Census Algoma, (next door to Sudbury, where Robert said he was born)
Peterson, Frank, age 29, b. Sweden
Svenson, Alma, age 29, b. Norway
Peterson, Edna, 10, b. Ontario
Peterson, Frank, 1, b. Ontario
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=77028

Wife Alma Josephine Peterson b. 1881 Norway, d. 1928 Banff.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/50087432

Frank L. remarries in 1929 in Banff to Agnes H. Goodman (Mrs. A.H. Peterson)

DB

Will try to contact tree owner.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Great find - good progress DB -  ;)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 March 18 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Searching EPL (I think that stands for Edmonton Public Library?)  an obit was run for an R. O. Peterson on Nov 17 and 18, 1978

https://www2.epl.ca/obituaries/ObituariesResults.cfm?TheName=peterson&TheInitials=r&TheYear=1950&TheYear2=1982&TheSort=Name&Search=Search+Now%21

It doesn't say what paper though, and those dates aren't in the google newspaper archive  :-\

Offline JoanPeterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I had a note on ancestry from someone today regarding my Uncle Robert Peterson.  When his father committed suicide in Banff in Jan 1943, Robert was a LAC serving at the airbase in Belleville, ON.  When documents show him living in Revelstoke, this is where his step brothers and sister and step mother lived for many years. So when documents show Robert in Revelstoke with a housekeeper named Mrs A. H. Peterson would be Robert's step mom. Agnes Hume Reynolds. My mother remembers visiting him and his wife in Edmonton in the 50's before we went to France with the RCAF.  Robert worked at the Edmonton Journal for many years.  I believe he has at least one son that may still be in the Edmonton area. He has a half sister still alive but she is not well. His full sister Aunt Esther has a son that was alive recently but I never knew him. I have contacted him before and he prefers no contact.

Offline JoanPeterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
His housekeeper was my Grandma Agnes

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
in the 50's before we went to France with the RCAF. 

Any chance you went to 2 Wing Grostenquin?!?  :D

Offline JoanPeterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
in the 50's before we went to France with the RCAF. 

Any chance you went to 2 Wing Grostenquin?!?  :D

We went to RCAF Station Marville...and we went over by GASP GASP a Royal Mail Ship. Now that shows I am OLD.  ;D