Author Topic: Help with record and brick wall please  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with record and brick wall please
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes Elizabeth Linton born to Agnes Tidman is in the home of her Stepfather Alexander and mother Agnes as Elizabeth Graham age 14 at Newton Canonbie Dumfries

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Send a PM with your email and I will send you a copy of John Linton's trial from July 1825. 

He was 30 and his theft and dash with a grey mare occurred May 25, 1825.  He stole it in Leeds and made it to an Inn at Barnard Castle.  I'm betting Ms Tidman was a resident and possibly worked at the Inn as there is no other logistical way Elizabeth could have been conceived.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Linton's christening from Family Search

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N58Z-1LD

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Jane may have married George GIBSON and if so then she also claims to be older than stated in 1841 and it works out at an approx birth year of 1827.  Perhaps this one:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYM9-461

May be George:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYM9-S5S

Debra  :)

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
So if Elizabeth is with the Grahams, then there is no point looking at the 41 census for Linton, as it has the Father on it... which means it won't be hers, right ?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked that this Elizabeth didn't marry as a Graham as she would have only been 3 when her mother married would she have necessarily known or considered John Linton as her father

What details does it give for John Linton on Elizabeths marriage cert does it say deceased what is his occupation

My opinion it is more likely to be the Elizabeth in the 1841 census that is your ancester than the one born to Agnes Tidman remember her birth was pre registration in Scotland and England and not all baptisim were recorded or have survived for every record you find there's probably 2 or more records of the same name that did not survive or the event wasn't recorded in the first place

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 10 March 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
No she married as Linton :-)

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 10 March 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Also just doubel checked all her census again and 1851 ha Grahams two visiting, one says neice, but age matches that of the same name of Mary Graham with the agnes and graham

Name:    Elizabeth Gillespy
Estimated birth year:    abt 1827
Relation:    Wife
Where born:    Scotland
Civil Parish:    Solport
County/Island:    Cumberland
Street address:
Condition as to marriage:
Disability:    
Registration district:    Longtown
Sub-registration district:    High Longtown
ED, institution, or vessel:    2
Neighbors:    View others on page
Household schedule number:    3
Piece:    2428
Folio:    22
Page Number:    1
Household Members:    
Name    Age
Elizabeth Gillespy    24
Mary Gillespy    4
Ann Gillespy    4
Mary Graham    10
Alexander Graham    15
Robert Graham    22

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 10 March 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
And Elizabeth Linton (this is who I am after) Elizabeth born 10 Feb 1826 in Scotland.. On ancestry is says father John Linton and mother Nancy Tidman.
Never trust anything you find on Ancestry unless it is an original document. In particular, don't trust online trees. You have no idea how good or bad the research has been.

The only Elizabeth Linton born between 1800 and 1835 with father being a John and mother a Nancy was born 10/02/1826
It's very easy to make the mistake of assuming the the only candidate has to be the right candidate. There are lots of people whose baptism records, if they every existed, have not survived.

But I can not find a marriage with a John Linton or a Nancy or anyone with the surname Tidman.
Not surprising, since the baptism record you posted says Elizabeth was a 'natural' child, i.e. illegitimate.

The 1841 census I have has below
John Linton    50
John Linton    21
James Linton    15
George Linton    10
Jane Linton    40
Elizabeth Linton    17
Frances Linton    12
Jane Linton    10
Janet Linton    2
Mary Bell    35
Margaret Rome    20
John Johnston    55
John Robinson    25
As Elizabeth, daughter of John Linton and Nancy Tidman, was illegitimate, I suspect she isn't the one in this census, who seems to be one of a family of a John Linton and wife Jane (the enumerator has done that sexist thing of listing all the male members of the family before any of the female ones).

You didn't say where they were in the census, but I see that they were in Gretna. In fact, noting the baptism of Janet Bell Linton in Gretna/Graitney on 10 March 1839, and a 2-year-old Janet Linton in the census, I think this is John Linton and Jane Bell, who were married in Gretna/Graitney in 1835. So John Linton had presumably been married before.

If this John Linton died in Scotland in 1855 or after 1860, his death certificate should tell you the names of all his wives, assuming that the informant knew this. The one who wasn't Jean/Jane Bell will be the mother of this Elizabeth Linton.

Whether or not she is your Elizabeth Linton I cannot say.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.