Author Topic: Looking for any living relatives of Margaret`Peggy`M. surname unknown. 1924  (Read 3722 times)

Offline twilight7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for any living relatives of Margaret `Peggy` M.... Small surname beginning with M(maybe)?
Born out of wedlock about 1924, N.W. Ireland, possibly Roosky. Her Grandmother`s name was Cath (Catherine maybe). Margaret was born in to a very large family with lots of aunts and uncles. Her Grandmother Cath took her to an orphanage at an early age, as they were unable to care for her. Margaret lived in this place until the age of 14, when her family asked her to go and live with them, which she refused. She acquired a position in a Dublin Hotel, eventually married then divorced. She moved to England married again and had no children. Any information would be most helpful.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any living relatives of Margaret`Peggy`M. surname unknown. 1924
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any living relatives of Margaret `Peggy` M.... Small surname beginning with M(maybe)?
Born out of wedlock about 1924, N.W. Ireland, possibly Roosky. Her Grandmother`s name was Cath (Catherine maybe). Margaret was born in to a very large family with lots of aunts and uncles. Her Grandmother Cath took her to an orphanage at an early age, as they were unable to care for her. Margaret lived in this place until the age of 14, when her family asked her to go and live with them, which she refused. She acquired a position in a Dublin Hotel, eventually married then divorced. She moved to England married again and had no children. Any information would be most helpful.
Welcome to RootsChat,
I'll assume Margaret has passed away, we are not allowed to discuss living people on RootsChat.
You say she married divorced and than moved to Endland, given she was born 1924 this doesn't sound correct.
Divorce became law in ROI in 1996, she would have been in her 70s.
I think you need to follow up her marriage in England, I don't know what information that would give re her divorce but working back step by step is your only chance.

Offline twilight7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 March 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Margaret passed away sometime ago. I am not sure if she married in Ireland or England, but divorced in England. I apologise for the confusion . Her family roots are in Ireland, maybe her mother went on in life and married, even had more children that would be Margaret`s step brothers and step sisters. She must have had lots of cousins and other relatives in Ireland. Margaret has no family in England.Thank you for your reply.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi bb reid

Any years to her marriages or death? Or surnames from either marriage?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
If you know her exact date of birth, you might then be able to pinpoint her death - or vice versa.

Do you know when and where she died?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 March 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

So you have very little a 'Margaret' born in 1924, a 'Cath' who was Grandma, a possible connection to  Roosky and a story about an orphanage, hotel in Dublin a divorce ( not in Ireland) and a couple of marriages and a death but no names, places or dates!

So a real mystery with nothing to start any research on and very few records available after 1911 to even look at.

So if I was faced with this I would be starting from her death/burial of Margaret (no surname) and searching first the death indexes assuming you know where she was living when she died, the looking for her marriage 'If' you find her in the death index and have a surname for her.
I may also search the 1911 Irish census for 'Cath' starting with Roosky Townland, Co. Roscommon, with an approx age and see what census shows, eg surname, names of Caths children, maybe a clue could include the name Margaret ( being a sibling of her mothers) ....... however Margaret and Cath are very common names and you could find yourself with lots of records especially with maybe a surname starting with M doesn't narrow it down as there are lots of Mc/Mac......

As until you find record proof there is no chance of finding anyone related and 'living people' are not something rootschat deal with, so be very careful about what if any info you post online about them.

Just as a side note, this mystery may take you many years to resolve ( or never) I had a great aunt who I knew very well, knew her name, researched her birth place/date, parents full names, siblings full names, her baptism record. I remember visiting her ( weekly) when I was small, so knew where she lived, knew the grave of her husband, know where and when she died and is buried...... she had no children, I could never find a marriage, was told he was Irish so I have over the years I have done the Irish research even thinking I found them ( turned out not them) but I had lots of information and eventually a rootschatter refereed me to a potential Scotland marriage and it turned out it was her, it would not have been a place I looked, found she was married, widowed, married again, no children but was a step mum to two plus found lots of things about her I would never have known and it took 20 years of research to get to that point and I had all the basics.....
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline twilight7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for all your information. I`m new to this so please bear with me...... Peggy married an Irish man his surname was Cox. She kept his surname rather than her own birth surname till she remarried again 1961. I know her birthday & I know her death date approximately. I do not know of any of her living relatives , I only want to contact them.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:57 GMT (UK) »
This search for Margaret's Irish relatives may be even harder than you think. When I read " N.W. Ireland, possibly Roosky" I thought possibly one of the Rooskys in County Donegal- yes, there are more than one there as well as other Rooskys in other counties.

Unfortunately, Margaret was too young to appear in 1911 Irish census. Her grandmother 'Cath' should be in the census but will be difficult to find.

Small surname beginning with M(maybe)?
Any chance you would recognise her surname if you did hear it? Do you think it might begin with Mc/Mac or not?

I may have found a way to narrow down the possible birth records that could be the right Margaret.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 March 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
She moved to England married again and had no children.

Any idea where she moved to in England? You've said she married again in 1961 using the name Cox, have you tried looking on Freebmd to see if you recognise any names?

www.freebmd.org.uk
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk