Author Topic: Looking for any living relatives of Margaret`Peggy`M. surname unknown. 1924  (Read 3714 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any living relatives of Margaret`Peggy`M. surname unknown. 1924
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 March 18 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find a death for Cath - not having any success.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 11 March 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »
On irishgenealogy.ie there is an interesting birth note for Patk mullark b 1882 Mother, Catherine

I did a broad search for the name Mullark and only 2 came up.

This Catherine died 1920, shortly after her daughter in law...
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 March 18 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I’m afraid that your search for any living relatives probably now must be in Ireland rather than than England or Scotland. So as the others have suggested you need to start by finding her birth certificate and then try to find siblings.

Although you say she was one of many, it could well be that present day relatives ( unless they are also into Family History) may not be aware of her exsistance as she was in a home from an early age and then moved to England. It could also be that if she divorced and remarried they didn’t keep in touch.

Good luck with finding her family, but as I know nothing about Irish research I’m afraid I now need to leave it to others who do.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 March 18 10:23 GMT (UK) »
If you know her exact birth date, and parents names from the death certificate, you can then try and find her on irishgenealogie.ie. Civil birth regs

Then look for any siblings to the same parents... or a marriage for her mother
As Margaret was born after 1916 her birth won't be on Irish Genealogy. Aghadowey posted a likely birth from Family Search a photocopy could be ordered for €4 using the form here
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do
as Cempat said you will also need the death cert.

If the birth cert is her than hopefully it will be possible to find her mother's family and perhaps trace forward a little giving you a better chance of finding living descendants.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 March 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Did a bit more digging earlier today and found a few interesting things to consider although the death certificate and that birth certificate needed to confirm the correct family so you don't go off on a wild goose chase after the wrong family or even the wrong branch of the right family.

I think it's possible that granny wasn't called 'Cath' but her great-grandmother could have been Catherine.

Searching for Mullark as the surname doesn't bring up many entries in civil index (births, marriages, deaths) because, like many Irish surnames, different spellings were used at various times. So, searches have to include Mulark, Melark, Malark, Mylark, etc.

Now, if Margaret was born c1925 to an unmarried mother named Mullark (or a variant of Mullark) then she should appear in the 1911 census (aged at least 14 years) and possibly in 1901. Unfortunately, some of the Rooskey D.E.D. seems to be missing from online 1901 census (whether just one that missed being microfilmed I'm not sure).

What I have noticed in records I've checked so far is a strange lack of suitable girls the right age to be Margaret's mother (unless she was away from home in 1911 and her surname hasn't come up in my searches). So, I have a particular suspect for who I'm constructed a nice family tree but will wait until confirmation of the name of Margaret's mother. If my guess is mistaken then I have little mini trees of the onnected families in the area.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 11 March 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
My husband’s maternal grandmother came over from Ireland around 1910 and changed her first name from Bridget to Beatrice... no one knew she had changed her name as she died when my MIL was twelve.
There were lots of stories some true but many untrue and it took many years of research and a very kind lady from another forum to scour the parish records in The NLI for me before we finally pieced the family together. 
I still haven’t connected with living relatives even though we visited the home town and asked around. My MIL last visited her relatives in the 1940’s but couldn’t offer any help and quite frankly isn’t in the least bit interest.

My concern is that Margaret never attempted to contact her family back in Ireland, any remaining family may not even know she existed, finding them now might be a shock and I would have to ask why now after she has passed away?  If she had left something for them, surely that would be up to her executor with instruction on how to find them, so I am not sure that is the reason. So however well meaning her dear friend and neighbour is, maybe this search is perhaps not what Margaret would have wanted.

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 11 March 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »

My concern is that Margaret never attempted to contact her family back in Ireland, any remaining family may not even know she existed, finding them now might be a shock and I would have to ask why now after she has passed away?  If she had left something for them, surely that would be up to her executor with instruction on how to find them, so I am not sure that is the reason. So however well meaning her dear friend and neighbour is, maybe this search is perhaps not what Margaret would have wanted.

That is a good point, jc26red. Perhaps bb reid does have to think a bit more about why they want to contact living relatives of Margaret. There may be a very good reason why Margaret didn't keep in contact with people back in Ireland and never seems to have expressed, as far as we know, any desire to find them again.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline twilight7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 12 March 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your fantastic help. Yes I do understand what you mean about her not leaving anything to her family. I think she was terribly hurt being left, and she said some things to me personally, I felt so sorry for her not having any close family in her life, as I have no family either. I can`t tell you why I want to contact her real family after all these years. But, maybe, just maybe there`s another `wee Margaret` who would have loved to have known her (aunt, great aunt, step sister or step brother). She did go back to visit them (not sure when) and was very surprised they were living in large bungalows, most probably to the small cottages of years ago. I am unable to download a form I need to find her birth certificate from Irish Geneaology, as I don`t have Office on my P.C. Is there another way I can get her birth certificate? Thank you all again.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 March 18 07:30 GMT (UK) »
The question on the end of your post got overlooked sorry.
There is usually a drop down menu on your computer when you try to open something like the form you need which will give choices of what to open it in.
This will vary depending on what you have on your computer, all I can suggest is trying the different choices.