Author Topic: Edwin RUDGE, born c1836, Bilston (?), Staffordshire  (Read 1827 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin RUDGE, born c1836, Bilston (?), Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Your 1891 Census "find" is the only one that fits the profile from a birth date/place standpoint.   My difficulty is trying to make a coherent picture from all the bits and pieces that have been posted here. 

Thank you for all your help

BAC3

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 March 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
its very strange as the Edwin c 1836 that appears on the 1891 census doesn't see to pop up anywhere else

BUT if you look at the 1841 census for a Betsy Rudge c1838 in Sedgley she is with parents Daniel and Elizabeth and brother Edwin aged 9 - this is the Elizabeth Rudge with mother Elizabeth who married William Smith

I think the Elizabeth Smith the Jomot found on the 1851 may actually be Edwins mother I know the age is a bit out on the 1891 census but that's nothing new

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 March 18 16:34 GMT (UK) »
its very strange as the Edwin c 1836 that appears on the 1891 census doesn't see to pop up anywhere else

BUT if you look at the 1841 census for a Betsy Rudge c1838 in Sedgley she is with parents Daniel and Elizabeth and brother Edwin aged 9 - this is the Elizabeth Rudge with mother Elizabeth who married William Smith

I think the Elizabeth Smith the Jomot found on the 1851 may actually be Edwins mother I know the age is a bit out on the 1891 census but that's nothing new

But Edwin was 13 when convicted in 1849, and 16 when convicted in 1852, which both tie in with a birth of c1836.

Also the Elizabeth Rudge who married William Smith had the maiden name of Madley/Madeley and was previously married to Benjamin Rudge, not Daniel.  Their daughter Lydia Rudge married in 1872, naming her father as Benjamin Rudge, Bricklayer.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 March 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 Benjamin, Elizabeth and 1 year old daughter Elizabeth are at Park Farms, South, Blechingley, Godstone, Surrey

Benjamin Rudge 30 Bricklayer
Elizabeth Rudge 28
Elizabeth Rudge 18 months

None born in county.

Lydia was born in Bristol in 1843, so potentially Edwin (if he is their son) could have been born anywhere in the country  :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 March 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 has Elizabeth aged 11 born Lancashire, so I think I may have him!

Rochdale, Chapelry of Littleborough, Lancashire - all 1 Dec 1839

Eliza d/o Benjamin & Elizabeth Rudge, Littleborough, Bricklayer
Edwin s/o    ditto
William s/o   ditto

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 March 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Nice one! that looks a little more promising

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 March 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
If Benjamin originated from the Staffs area there is a baptism of a Benjamin Rudge 30.7.1809 St Leonards Bilston parents William and Mary

Willow x

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 March 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening Everyone,

Thank you for all your inputs for which I am extremely grateful.   

There is so much information now I am beginning to be a little confused (not difficult in my state of age 8)), but despite that I feel the answer to his parentage has been provided.   It remains to fill in the gap between 1855 when he was released from prison and the supposed "sighting" of him in the 1891 Census.

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline pwhhh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 January 21 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I see that I have arrived at this thread rather late!
However, if BAC3 is still researching Edwin Rudge and the possible father Benjamin, I have a lot of information.  I am a descendant of Benjamin's younger brother, and have been researching the Bilston clan for 40+ years.
Send me a PM if interested.