Author Topic: Alexander McLeod b.10/05/1871 Dundee - Death?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McLeod b.10/05/1871 Dundee - Death?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 March 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Might be worth while searching Newspapers to see if there is any mention of a death or Military Records

Rosie

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 March 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
There is another possibility that I would like to put forward. It will not assist you in finding a death record for him but could explain why his wife described herself as a widow when she remarried in 1899.

His occupation you say was a Mill Overseer. At that time in Dundee some of the Overseers went out to India perhaps Calcutta (my 2 x Great Uncle and his son went out there in 1899). If he died out there between 1897 and 1899 then his wife would have been telling the truth when she remarried.

With regard to his occupation of dairyman appearing on his wife's death certificate I wouldn't bother too much about this. Death certificates can be inaccurate depending on who the informant was.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 March 18 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Many thanks indeed for your replies.

Wivenhoe you are reading that correctly but I'm not sure I am. It certainly looks like Dairyman but can't be sure. Margaret died on 13th Janaury 1959 in Dundee - death record attached.

Snowolf - that's right, she is listed as widow of 1st Alexander McLeod and 2nd David Baxter.

Rosie - yes all the info you have found is correct. That's him on the 1891 census living with his parents. He married Margaret the following year. The 1899 marriage to David Baxter is correct and that is indeed them on the 1901 census in Glasgow (David Baxter was from Glasgow. 1899 marriage record attached, his address is '2 Wellshot something something, Glasgow'). Alexander, Joseph and Daniel are all Alexander's sons (so technically McLeods not Baxters), Helen is the first child of the second marriage.

downdstree - I think you are on to something. Back when Brian Cox did a documentary on Jute and Dundee, I remember my great aunt (so Alexander's granddaughter) mentioning that we had a relative who went to Calcutta, they thought he was going to go there and make his fortune, but died really young! Now I'm thinking this could have been Alexander. I hadn't realised she was speaking of her grandfather. I assumed it was someone young and single, not married with three children. I had complete forgot about this until you mentioned it.

Is there any way I could find out more about this? Immigration records or death records in India? I suspect that will be very difficult if not impossible?

Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful.

ETA: The informant on Margaret's death certificate was her son-in-law, so definitely not the most reliable source for her first husband's (who died 60 years earlier) occupation.

Oh and I will try searching newspaper articles also.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has a death for an Alexander Macleod 24th march 1898 , burial 25th March 1898 Burdwan Bengal India , born 1870 , age 28.
No further information.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev,

Thank you. I have been able to find this on Ancestry also. This looks likely to be him.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the passenger lists , there's an A. Mcleod going to Calcutta in 1897 ?  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a record for A McLeod departure London 22 January 1897
Destination Calcutta India this chap is down as being single

There is also a record for Mr Macleod
Departure 7/10/1897
Destination Calcutta
Ship Malta unfortunately no occupation is given

Rosie

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 March 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both,

I don't think the first can be him Rosie as he registered Daniel's birth in Dundee in May 1897. Maybe the second one in October though...

Can anyone tell me what the word on the right is? It is under 'Occupation or Calling'.

ETA: Never mind - that's Calcutta to London - wrong direction!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 March 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
It looks like engineer and there is also a few records incoming and outgoing for this chap I would say

Rosie