Author Topic: David Valentine & Elizabeth Brember/Brebner and son John.  (Read 2781 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Valentine & Elizabeth Brember/Brebner and son John.
« on: Saturday 10 March 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate a death for DAVID VALENTINE  he was the son of James Valentine and Mary Ferrier, he was born in Johnshaven Kincardineshire in 1808 and I feel confident that he married Elizabeth Bremner/Brebner/Brember

I found this Marriage record...
                David Valentine
  Spouse:  ELIZABETH BREMNER   
  Marriage:  07 DEC 1834   Dunnottar, Kincardine, Scotland

I believe the family went to live in Glasgow.
Evidence in favour of this David being family is a son John b 1840.
The 1841 Census records David, mail guard, Elizabeth his wife , John aged 1 yr and a visitor Helen Brember, aged 20 and independent .....

The 1851 census shows a John Valentine b Glasgow and aged 11 now living in Stonehaven, with Mary Ferrier (using single name as some Scottish widows did), recorded as a relative. I also believe this to be the 1 yr old John recorded in the 1841 census.

John later became a seaman. and I have found him lodging with Valentine family in 1861 census

I can find no record for David or Elizabeth for 1851... no death records after 1855.

Any help appreciated
Kind regards Patricia Valentine

Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: David Valentine & Elizabeth Brember/Brebner and son John.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate a death for John (Lam or Law ) Valentine.. merchant seaman b 1839 in Glasgow.

1841 living in Glasgow with parents David Valentine and Elisabeth (Brember or Brebner)
1851 Living in Stonehaven with his grandmother Mary Ferrier (Valentine)
1861 Lodging in Aberdeen with his cousin and family

I have various papers pertaining to his career in the Merchant navy dated 1861 but I can't find a death cert for him..

His parents disappear from view after 1851 census too...

Any help appreciated.
Thank you
Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Greenock Advertiser reports a John Valentine was lost at sea aboard the Sultana which sank in March of 1867.  He was a cook, from Dundee.

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I will check up on that.

He was listed in 1861 as an 'only mate' whatever that is and he was born in Glasgow but its worth my doing some research, thanks its the closest I've got to date...

Patricia

Offline Mgil2503

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 October 22 15:29 BST (UK) »
I see that your Valentine ancestors were married into the Ferriers, so are our ancestors and this very old Kincardineshire family come from Fettercairn area. We also have links with Johnshaven and Benholm. I see that you previously doubted the roots going back in this area and thought Valentine’s were from  central Scotland, definitely not.,! You need to see our family tree on Ancestry. My sister Lorna has Valentines going back to 1600s. It is clearly same family as yours. Good luck and we’re any of your Valentine’s Glasites?