Author Topic: Looking for my half-brother  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Sonofbrad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for my half-brother
« on: Saturday 10 March 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for my half-brother who was adopted in 1970 in Los Angels County, California. I have his birth certificate, but that is the only information I have. I don't know where I should start to look for him, any suggestions?

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my half-brother
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
A few ideas that come to mind are: contacting the adoption agency (if one was used), message in a local newspaper, Facebook or other social media, electors list (if it is possible to have access), school/college records. Of course no organisation is likely to give you an address but maybe they would pass on a letter from you. I am assuming that both parents are not alive or do not wish (or are unable) to help? Good luck.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Sonofbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 18 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't know the adoption agency and my mom passed away 11 years ago. I have asked my grandma but she is in her mid-80s and can't recall. I have the birth certificate so I know what his given name is, but I don't know what his adoptive name is. I have scoured the internet and social media with the name I have and nothing has come up. I thought about trying the DNA services that are out there but I'm a little uneasy about handing over my DNA to a company's database. I'm wondering if a private detective could find him or something like that...

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 18 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

Some suggestions
Family Tracing Service/to apply to have a relative traced, contact the Salvation Army in the country where you reside.
http://registry.adoption.com/
http://www.howtoinvestigate.com/adoption.htm#.WqSISufLjIU
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Sonofbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you so much! I just emailed the Salvation Army. Fingers crossed it leads me somewhere!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
It used to be Salvation Army wouldn't help finding adopted family members (indeed, this is stated on their UK site) but they will be able to advise further.
https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/i-need-find-someone

From their information sheet-
We are not able to become involved in searches where adoption away from birth family has taken place, due to current UK legislation.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 March 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
It used to be Salvation Army wouldn't help finding adopted family members (indeed, this is stated on their UK site) but they will be able to advise further.
https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/i-need-find-someone

From their information sheet-
We are not able to become involved in searches where adoption away from birth family has taken place, due to current UK legislation.

Los Angels County, California so UK legislation doesn't apply although i doubt they have any access to adoption records as US  ones are sealed and need court orders, however they could signpost/advise where and how to look
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 March 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Basically the same thing on their Western U.S. page (just not as easy to find from their U.S. Home page-
http://salvationarmy.usawest.org/usw20/missing_persons
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 March 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a California birth index available on Ancestry.com and familysearch.org.  I presume that index would include the birth record under the adopted name.

Ancestry.com allows you to put in the day and month, unlike familysearch which just has a spot for the year, so I would use Ancestry to search the birth index if you can.  (If you're in the US, your local or state library may provide free access to Ancestry.)  Leave the exact/match all terms exactly buttons unchecked.  It may give you 100+ options, but at least it's a place to start.  If the names you come up with are unusual, a Google search or searching on Facebook might give you enough info (such as a picture) to rule them in or out as a possibility.

Another idea, if you haven't done it already, is autosomal DNA testing.  Ancestry.com has the biggest database currently, and you can also transfer your information to other sites for free, such as gedmatch.com, to get more matches.  If he is looking for you, he may already have tested.  I am an adoptee & it worked for me, and I have seen many other success stories.