Author Topic: London Metropolitan Archives  (Read 627 times)

Offline avacuppa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London Metropolitan Archives
« on: Sunday 11 March 18 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone close to the LMA that could do some research there please?  I am hoping to find Bastardy documents for 1915-1917.  Thank you.
NORRIS, Lily Rosina,  Edgware Middlesex.
WEST, Benjamin, Edgware Middlesex
MORRIS, Samuel,  Leigh  Lancashire
FAIRCLOUGH, Tarleton and Leigh Lancashire.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: London Metropolitan Archives
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 March 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I go regularly to the monthly Saturdays they open. Unluckily, that was yesterday so won't be there for another month.

Do you have reference numbers? If not if you provide details we may find they're on Ancestry (or alternatively don't exist or aren't available)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline avacuppa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 18 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi StevieSteve,  thank you for replying.  Yes please it would be great if you can help. Whenever your able to go I am happy with.   I am not sure if there are any actual bastardy documents for Dorothy or not but there might be.  I guess I am hoping lol

I did find information on Dorothy on Ancestry in the workhouse records posted.

Dorothy West,  born 1898 at Childs Hill, Hendon Middx. Parents George West and Elizabeth Ann Burks. Living at 154 Cricklewood Lane Childs Hill.

In 1915 Dorothy had a daughter, Evelyn May.  Born Dec 20 1915 at the Salvation Army Mothers Hospital in Clapton, Hackney. (Stevie do you know if its possible to get patients records from this hospital?  Would there be admitting records available?)

Then I find poor Dorothy in the Infirmary at Redhill Workhouse Edgware.  The Admitting records say she was ill and destitute, actually Dorothy was pregnant and admitted Feb.1st 1917. Her daughter Evelyn May was with her. 

I read that the Middlesex poor relief records,  which i think the Bastardy Bonds come under,  are at the LMA.

Dorothy had a son John West born Feb 5th 1917, in the workhouse and died Feb 6th. 

Dorothy and Evelyn were discharged March 1st 1917.

Evelyn May West died April 2nd 1917.  Evelyn's grdmr was present at the death at 154 Cricklewood Lane. It does not mention Dorothy.

I lost track of my Dorothy after that.  I cannot find a marriage or a death. The last address I have for Dorothy is on her son John's birth certificate at the Redhill workhouse Feb 5th 1917.  Listed as a domestic at 28 Dersingham Road Cricklewood Hendon.  Maybe it is a big house I don't know.

I thought if there was Bastardy documents they would give me the father's names and some info on the men,  as neither Evelyn or John have a father named on their birth certs. Also might have a bit more on Dorothy, where she went after the workhouse.

Thank you Stevie.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 18 20:17 GMT (UK) »
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline avacuppa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 18 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ray.