Author Topic: George Monday Eddy  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Martin17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George Monday Eddy
« on: Sunday 11 March 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know what happened to George Monday Eddy, born 27th January 1859 at Topsham, Devon ? I know he served in the Navy up until 1880 and served time in Bodmin Gaol for selling and improperly disposing of his clothes.

After 1880 I believe he married Eleanor Godfrey in 1883 in the district of Westminster. After that the trail seems to go cold. I can not find either on the later census and the only death I could find was George Monday Eddy who died in 1899 aged 80 years, so it is not him.

I would be grateful for any information regarding George or Eleanor or any family they may have had after 1883.

Thank you.

Martin
Warwick- Farnham Essex, Pelhams, Hadhams & Bishops Stortford Hertfordshire, Lee Kent.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Monday Eddy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 March 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
The GRO site has a birth

Eleanor Maude Eddy Dec 1886 Lambeth 1d 360 mmn Godfrey

and unfortunately a death

Eleanor Maude Eddy Jun 1888 Lambeth 1d 272 age 1

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
The George Monday EDDY who died in 1899 left a will (£479) with probate granted to his widow Sarah - address 69 Albert Road, Stoke, Devonport - might be worth getting a copy of the will to see if the younger George is mentioned. George Mundy EDDY was baptised at Topsham in 1862 son of George & Sarah so presumably the older George who died in 1899 was his father.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Not what you asked for but, despite what the naval record says, it doesn’t look as though 27 January 1859 is a correct birthdate for George.

His birth was registered Jun qtr 1860, and he was recorded as 11 months old in the 1861 census (which was taken on 7 April 1861).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Eleanor Godfrey was born in Furneux Pelham, Herts, in 1861 - parents Joshua and Hannah.

As Eleanor Eddy she’s in service as a domestic cook in Marylebone in 1891, aged “28’, shown as married. RG12/96/20/33.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
George Mundy Eddy was baptised Topsham 8 June 1862 along with sister Bessie. No dob given. Parents George, an Inn Keeper, and Sarah.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Martin17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George Mondy Eddy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to George ( Mondy, Munday, Monday ) Eddy, born 27th Jan 1859 at Topsham. He had a stint in the Royal Navy with a couple of spells in Limerick and Bodmin Gaol. I believe he left the Royal Navy in 1880.

I believe he married Eleanor Godfrey in 1883 at Westminster and after that his trail goes cold. On the 1891 Eleanor is recorded as being married, but George is not with her. I can find no deaths for this George and after 1891 I am unable to find a death for Eleanor. They had a son Joshua, born 1884 who ended up with the Godfrey grandparents and Joshua changed his name from Eddy to Godfrey.

I would be very grateful for any further information regarding George and Eleanor.

Regards

Martin
Warwick- Farnham Essex, Pelhams, Hadhams & Bishops Stortford Hertfordshire, Lee Kent.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: George Mondy Eddy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Who were his parents

ADDED I can only see this birth reg for someone of that name
EDDY, GEORGE  MONDAY     mmn TANCOCK 
1860  June Quarter in SAINT THOMAS  Volume 05B  Page 60

They are in Topsham in 1861
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Martin17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George Mondy Eddy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie99

George's parents were George Monday Eddy, born about 1819 at Exmouth, Devon and Sarah Tancock born about 1822 at Newton St Cyres, Devon. They married in 1847.

I have George junior as one of seven children.

Regards

Martin