Author Topic: Bounty mutineer Edward Young  (Read 1614 times)

Offline RickKleiner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bounty mutineer Edward Young
« on: Sunday 11 March 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

The least is known of Bounty midshipman, Edward YOUNG, than of all the Bounty mutineers.  From the Bounty muster, he was born in St. Kitts, West Indies and signed-on in 1787 at the age of 21.  There is an Edward YOUNG that fits his age appearing on the muster of the royal yacht, Catherine, under Admiral Sir George YOUNG in 1784-85, and it was the Admiral who recommended Edward YOUNG to Capt. William BLIGH.  That is all that is documented; all that we know of him.  Most authors on the subject have speculated Edward was the Admiral’s nephew; some say his son.  I have reason to strongly suspect he was the grandson of Admiral Sir George YOUNG first-cousin, James.  I am Edward YOUNG grandson seven generations removed.  I plan to be in England for the first time this September, and I would like to try to test this out.

I’m basing this hunch on the Admiral’s biography, Young of Formosa, written by his grandson, Sir George YOUNG III, Bt, in 1882.  The family’s genealogy is well-documented from the 1600’s to this day and omits the mutineer, Edward.  However, an appendix to this biography contributed by a YOUNG relation, the Rev. Charles Russell COOKE of Semer, is a family tree which includes a placeholder where Edward might be placed.  It is this tree that suggests Edward might have descended from the Admiral’s cousin.  What is tantalising about this tree is the people listed was being Edward’s father, uncles and aunts are to a person the names Edward gives his children on Pitcairn Island.  I immediately endeavoured to find the Reverend COOKE’s papers to try to re-create his research.  Unfortunately, I learned that not only did he die without issue, but his home under a subsequent owner was destroyed by fire.  I’m not expecting to find his work.  But I’ll be in England and am willing to try to follow his footsteps. 

Would anyone be able to share some advice on how to approach this task?  Based around this tree that exists, I’m prepared to slog through Parish records.  (Various shires are mentioned.)  But I would love to have some guidance to reduce what seems to be a daunting prospect in a limited period of time.  It’s fun, but I could use some help.  Sorry for the length of this post.  Thank you.

Richard Kleiner
Norfolk Island

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bounty mutineer Edward Young
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 18 20:21 GMT (UK) »
St. Kitts–Nevis – The National Archives of St. Kitts-Nevis has launched a new website called Basseterre, Past & Present. The purpose of the site is to “present the evolution of Basseterre through the records and images held in [the National Archives] repositories”. Included are articles, historic photos and newspaper clippings. One thing that is not currently on the website is the Registry of Slaves. St. Kitts is one of the few Caribbean islands that preserved the registry of slaves. Originally established ten years after England abolished the slave trade in 1807, the registry of slaves was actually created by abolitionists on the island who wanted to keep track of people to ensure that no new slaves were smuggled onto the island. The original list contained some 20,000 names. It was updated every three years. However, it is difficult to trace family connections through the registry of slaves since family connections was not the intended purpose of the document. The registry instead lists name, age, sex, colour, place of birth and occupation.

http://www.historicbasseterre.com/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline RickKleiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, iluleah.  Thank you for replying.  I'm amazed at the suggestions you could come up with so quickly.  I've been in communication with St. Kitts National Archivist, Viki O'Flaherty, in years past and with St. Kitts genealogist, Hazel Brookes.  Both have been extremely helpful with leads, but neither could find a record of Edward Young in St. Kitts.  I'll take a look at the website you suggest in any case for new information.  As well, I've read Bligh's court martial transcripts a number of times.  I've been pursuing Young's pedigree for many years and, other than the opportunity in September to dig through obscure records at Kew, I'm fairly certain at this stage the next step is to somehow try to re-create the Young family tree I mentioned that was produced in the 1880s - if that is practical.  Again, the matching of names of Edward's possible father, aunts and uncles on this tree to the names he gives his children on Pitcairn Island are identical; too uncanny.  I've done what I can with the published literature and online resources.  What's next is to go to England.  Trying to figure out what best to do while there.  If you have any more ideas, they would be welcome.  Thank you, again.  - Rick

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 18 16:22 GMT (UK) »
The Fiji museum has artifacts, likely they also have other things, maybe worth asking , maybe they could signpost you http://fijimuseum.org.fj/

There have been a FH Find My Past show you can find that and several others on Youtube and Channel 4 TV in shown in 2017  recreated  Mutiny of the Bounty voyage, http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-to-recreate-legendary-mutiny-of-the-bounty-voyage 

Offline RickKleiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 18 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, iluleah. 

Once again, thank you.  Your knowledge is impressive, as is you willingness to share.  I never thought of the Fiji Museum.  It's not usually considered a resource for Bountyana, which only means it hasn't been explored.  It could well have some surprises.  Just yesterday, I was reading a letter from the surgeon on the HMS Blossom who visits Pitcairn Island in 1825.  The last mutineer is still alive.  The surgeon refers to the father of Edward Young, mutineer, as being a St. Kitts planter or a clerk to one and a cousin of the Admiral Sir George Young.  This is still not documented anywhere, but a compelling scenario that can connect Ned to both the Admiral and St. Kitts.  The last suggestion from Viki O'Flaherty and Hazel Brookes of St. Kitts is to look for Youngs on ships' musters or passenger lists going to or from the UK and St. Kitts in the 1720-1780s.  I've searched what I can of those from online.  Still would like to figure out how the person I earlier mentioned created that particular family tree.  Mostly, though, thanks.  - Rick

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Very likely you have seen this, but just in case you haven't published in LIFE Magazine 10 Feb 1958 https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zFUEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA38&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false I sometimes find articles like this give you clues where else to look especially as they mention things like the ships Bible , although it seems the islanders may have sold off things, so they could be the things held in private hands  ( which are then difficult to find)

...........and you may find more on here with the  40,100 results https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=bks&ei=EOamWuaiJMOckwX2-5FQ&q=HMS+bounty&oq=HMS+bounty&gs_l=psy-ab.3...57744.58733.0.60431.2.2.0.0.0.0.111.216.0j2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.6Wm7wxHLe40

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:55 GMT (UK) »
HMS Bounty medical almanac  this book survived the mutiny and decades on a remote Pacific island.

The title page carries the signature of Tho[ma]s Huggan, the ship’s surgeon, whose name has been crossed through, presumably after his death which occurred during the voyage. The contents page gives an indication of the ailments covered by its text and also has a hand-written note of 29 December 1787 when the ship was moored at Spithead at the start of the voyage.

The descendants of the mutineers who populated Pitcairn Island would sell or exchange belongings with passing ships and this is how the book came to leave the Pacific island, now a treasured item of the Rare Book collection and can be found in the Caird Library of the National Maritime Museum which is in Greenwich London

Offline RickKleiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 March 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  What a find.  I plan to go to the National Maritime Museum.  Who knows what else is there?  Who are you?   :)  - Rick