Author Topic: Anybody Know "Old German"? You May Help Me Break My Paternal GGF Wall!  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody Know "Old German"? You May Help Me Break My Paternal GGF Wall!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 23:49 GMT (UK) »
1824,April 20th.Bornhem The Recorder for Civil Affairs was Petrius Joannes Brys.
Paulus De Prins ,agriculturalist (Ag Lab probably)married ,has a child of female sex .Born 5 hours before midday.
 His lawful married wife Anna Gillis aged 30 has given the forename Melania.
Witnesses( and therefore Godparents)were Josephus Van Assche,------Derijke.An agriculturist and a labourer.Both presently living in Bornham.
The father of the child has declared he cannnot write but the Godparents have both signed after it being  read to them.
This is the bare bones but the relevant information is there.
So many words I have found difficult and the altered spelling too but it would be nice to know exactly what they say.I`ll ask my son when he is back from his business trip just to check I have not misled you.It is almost 42years since we lived in Belgium and I am a bit rusty. I made errors when I lived  there but got by alright ,once asking for sardines without fur and legs when I meant without skin and bones  ;D
Cheerio,viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 00:14 GMT (UK) »
A woman who marries keeps her maiden name so,Jane Smith marries John Brown, she becomes Jane Brown Smith.
Any children would have their father`s surname.
I`ve glanced at the latest paper, it is such small writing but I can see the name you mentionedbut also the word "overleden"which means dead, I am not sure because it is difficult to enlarge but the father`s name appears a little later so if the baby or the father I have not yet grasped.
I will have another look but be prepared that I may have made errors as nuances of meaning etc have  long passed out of my understanding!( if they were ever there--sardines without  fur and legs)Goodnight. Viktoria.

Offline Woodworker22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Viktoria....I hope to hear from you soon!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 07:54 GMT (UK) »
1824,April 20th.Bornhem The Recorder for Civil Affairs was Petrius Joannes Brys.
Paulus De Prins ,agriculturalist (Ag Lab probably)married ,has a child of female sex .Born 5 hours before midday.
 His lawful married wife Anna Gillis aged 30 has given the forename Melania.
Witnesses( and therefore Godparents)were Josephus Van Assche,------Derijke.An agriculturist and a labourer.Both presently living in Bornham.
The father of the child has declared he cannnot write but the Godparents have both signed after it being  read to them.
This is the bare bones but the relevant information is there.
So many words I have found difficult and the altered spelling too but it would be nice to know exactly what they say.I`ll ask my son when he is back from his business trip just to check I have not misled you.It is almost 42years since we lived in Belgium and I am a bit rusty. I made errors when I lived  there but got by alright ,once asking for sardines without fur and legs when I meant without skin and bones  ;D
Cheerio,viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 March 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I`ve had a go and am not at all certain who has died.
It  could be the baby.  Melania his mother lived at least to 1852.but it says "overladen" after Melania`s father.
Words come in a very different order to English,eg "Yesterday my mother at the park was".
However---- there is a "Veldtwachter "involved , a civil local policenman (village Bobby).Joannes Bergkens aged 51.It is possible he was a witness.
The date is 18 May 1848 but we also have in one of the other documents 8th February1852, which seemed like a marriage document which states Melania was 27 and in l 1824 also  Melania`s birth in April.
 April 1824Melania born
.May 1848Melania 24.Document mentioning Aloyisius
February 1852 Melania 27 .Seems  like a marriage document.The dates do work out O.K.But 4 years between a baby being born and the parents marrying seems a long time.
Unless  I am completely wrong  there seems to be a question of the baby`s paternity.
I`ll get my son to check it out.
When I say the spelling has altered,  an easy example -the word for people is now MENSEN but the days of these documents was MENSCHEN.

I really need my son to clarify things.
Viktoria.

Offline Woodworker22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 March 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria...Here is the document concerning Johannes.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 March 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
This one is in French and concerns Petronille Therese Van CAUWENBERGH.
It says naissance which is birth in French
The ink is very pale and when enlarged not very clear.
I`ll get on to it.Viktoria.

Offline Woodworker22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria...I found another document (actually 3 attachments) that must tell quite a story...but as usual, I have a language barrier.  Please help! Or maybe others may want to help.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 March 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Woodworker22. I am going away for a little while to attend a funeral.
Not a long train journey but as I don`t drive  Iam reliant on public transport to get me from the nearest big town to the remote village.
However public transport means the school bus and some schools will have broken up for Easter so no buses in the mornings or teatime.
Funeral at 10-30 so taxi there and taxi back to the town to hotel.
I may stay a few days,having paid for the rail travel,if my return half of ticket can be changed.
So I will be out of circulation for some little while.
Just to complicate matters my grandson is travelling up to stay at my house but I will be away of course, it is no real trouble but I can`t just close everything down as if no one was here.
I`ll have to make something to be here for him and G.grandson when they come and"childproof " the house.He is 22months and into everything.I am sorry I will be gone before they arrive.
I will do my best when I get back but there are some Rootschatters with an excellent grasp of French so perhaps one of them might be of assistance.  I am not making excuses but just letting you know I can`t find time to look at the new documents yet. I have only glanced at the one in French. The birth certificate. Cheerio for now. Viktoria.