Author Topic: NZ B D & M; assigned surnames.  (Read 645 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
NZ B D & M; assigned surnames.
« on: Monday 12 March 18 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.

How many were aware of the fact highlighted by our TV programme FAIR GO, aired this evening?

In the move to digitize an estimated 2.4 million birth records, NZ B D & M assigned surnames to the new born's given [christian] names. Previously there was no legal requirement to do so. It was just assumed the surname, would be that of the father. And that was the guide line given to those charged with transcribing to creating the digital record.

This is now creating all sorts of problems for those applying for birth certificates, and finding the surname on todays official record, is NOT the one that the applicant has been using throughout their life.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/-were-you-born-before-1972-really-think

Another curved ball for future researchers, once records become historical records.

Alan.

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: NZ B D & M; assigned surnames.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.

How many were aware of the fact highlighted by our TV programme FAIR GO, aired this evening?

Alan.

Wasn't aware until I watched it.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
It will only effect those born outside an official marriage who were given their father's surname at birth  but later recorded under their mother's.   I wonder if it is as big a problem as suggested as the action was taken some twenty years ago but has only now come to light.
Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I think it could involve a lot of folk.I worked at a big maternity hospital in Auckland in the late 60's and there was a large number of single girls giving birth,some kept their babies others gave them up for adoption,

Cheers Janette