Author Topic: Charles Smith Cook  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Bilcor1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Smith Cook
« on: Monday 12 March 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a death or burial of Charles Smith Cook b 14 Nov 1881 Peterhead parents Robert Cook & Jane Duffus he married Maggie Jane Allan in 1903 Peterhead
Seen ref on Family Search he was in Marquette, Manitoba in 1911 census also border crossing from Canada Nov 1913 to USA
In 1911 census Peterhead Charles 29  Carter, Maggie J 29 & Robert 3
Must have left for Canada later that year
Found his wife Margaret Jane Allan died 1968  buried in Peterhead Cemetery, Aberdeenshire

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Smith Cook
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
To me, the border crossing record indicates Charles was travelling through the US and returning to Canada further east (I think.....the overwriting is a bit confusing). Canada is his ultimate destination, in any case, rather than the US.

Unfortunately, it seems a second page of the record seems to be missing and it may have provided more info.

Did he not return to Scotland?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Bilcor1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Not as far as I know PB

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
The second page of the 1913 manifest appears before the first page.  He was bound for his friend, Dan McGregor, 16 Hayden Street, Toronto.   He entered the US at Pembina, North Dakota.   He originally arrived in Canada aboard the Cassandra in March 1911 which seems to have arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick.  His wife, Maggie, was still in Scotland at the time.

The passenger record for the Cassandra which arrived in Saint John,  New Brunswick on March 20, 1911 shows him indexed as "Cork", not "Cook".   Says he is bound for Winnipeg, and that he had previously been in Canada for 12 years from 1898 to 1910.

Offline Bilcor1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
The census for 1911 in Scotland was taken on 2 April
If the passenger list on Cassandra was on March 20 1911 seems a bit confusing
Any record of him arriving in 1898?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 15:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a second index card entry for his arrival in the US in 1913, and in it, he gives Peter Maher of 16-26 Hayden Street, Toronto as his destination. From the Toronto directories, this was a horse dealer/barn.  This record says he arrived on March 11, 1910 aboard the Cassandra.

I can't find him in 1898 but those records don't have as much info so harder to pick him out of a crowd.  There should be an incoming record for him back into the UK around 1910.

Offline Bilcor1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 March 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 census in Peterhead he is living with parents and occupation is carter age 14 should be 19
as he is born in 1882 you would think there would be a record if he went earlier in 1898

Offline Bilcor1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Eileen could you let me see the record of passenger list on Cassandra for 20 Mar 1911 and also any evidence he had been in Canada since 1898 - 1910

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Here is the 1911 passenger manifest from Library and Archives Canada (LAC). Page 4...

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists/passenger-lists-1865-1922/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=14784&

About the 1898-1910...

I don't believe it says he was in Canada for those years. LAC has lists of headings for columns on the passenger lists. For the years 1909-1921 some relevant ones are...

23. What is your intended occupation in Canada?   Charles has F. Labourer.

24. Have you ever worked as farmer, farm labourer, gardener, stableman, carter, Ry (would be railway), surfaceman, navvy or miner?   Charles has yes.

Large heading "If so" has headings...

25. Which?   Charles has F. Labourer

26. How long?   Charles has 12 years.

When?   Charles has 1898-1910

These working years would have been in Scotland. There isn't any mention of his being in Canada. I don't believe he would have been given the designation "British Bonus Allowed" if it wasn't his first trip to Canada. I would have expected him to have the designation "Returned Canadian".

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada