Author Topic: Help dating photo from Norway 19th century  (Read 1184 times)

Offline planckera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help dating photo from Norway 19th century
« on: Monday 12 March 18 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Greetings! I think I know who the people are in this photo. It would help verify their identities to know when this photo was taken, and if there's any info about the photographer. It appears to be the photographer's signature at the bottom, "Jahn" something. The word below the name is, I believe, Stavanger, which is a region in Norway. The people in question were married in 1874 and indeed lived in Stavanger. Does this look like an 1874 Norwegian marriage photo? The photo size is roughly 2.75" x 5"

Thanks for any help!
~Adam
Gaucher, Cahill, Stern, Leffler, Ross, Lembke, Paschelka, Jagenow, Hansen, Larsen, Schwede, Boeck, Belgarde, Wilkie, St. Arnaude, Vandal, Helle, Opdal, Hetland, Veggeberg, Root, Ladd, Nelson, Osten, Peacock, Nikolas, Utley, Knott, Woodford, Shadford, Hatfield, Kirkpatrick

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help dating photo from Norway 19th century
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Difficult as she's in traditional-type dress  but I would have put it into 20th century (1920s-1930s ?? ) going by length of dress and the shoes.

Gadget

Added - Also, man's suit is much later.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adam and welcome to RootsChat...I would suggest 1920s. Most likely to be the next generation.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm pretty sure the name at the bottom is John Kjolvik (Kjølvik) from Stavanger. The man in the photo could be John or if John sent the photo. There is a John Kjølvik in Stavanger born 1872 and died 1935.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Well, I could be wrong as John Kjølvik was a photographer. Here he is in the 1910 census:
https://digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01036615041754

Ian

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
So that could well be the photgraphr'ss signature - well found, Ian.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Cheers.
Just to add there is a John Kjølvik emmigrating to the US in 1924. They might be connected to this photo as they are of the same family:
https://digitalarkivet.no/view/8/pe00000000383851

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The people in question were married in 1874 and indeed lived in Stavanger.

Hi
Who are these people in question?

Ian

Offline planckera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the great info and research, everyone! Happy to see someone could make out the last name in the signature, and find a photographer with that name!

So, originally I thought the subjects were my wife's g-g-grandparents. The woman has a family resemblance to my wife's g-grandmother, but I now agree that she is most likely a sister. Here are some names:

Wife's great-great-grandparents who married 4 Nov 1874:
- Johannes Jensson Søre-Hetland (b. 1 Jul 1849, Hå, Rogaland, Norway - d. 22 Aug 1902, Mjølhus, Hå, Rogaland, Norway)
- Martha Malene Andersdatter Veggeberg (b. 17 Oct 1845, Hå, Rogaland, Norway - d.?)

Their daughter (wife's great-grandmother):
- Johanna Mathilde Søre-Hetland (went by Mathilda Hetland in the States) (b. 20 Jan 1887, Mjølhus, Hå, Rogaland, Norway - d. 20 Apr 1970, Hennepin County, Minnesota, USA)

Mathilda's sisters:
- Elen Margreta (b. 1874)
- Martha Malena (b. 1879)
- Engel Maria (b. 1884)
- Josefine (b. 1889)

I will attach some photos of Mathilda. She's the grown woman in the family photo (my wife's grandfather is the boy standing in the front). I think Mathilda is the woman on the left in the other photo, and my guess is the other woman is one of her sisters. This photo has a sticker on the backing board, but I can't seem to find the uncropped scan! I'll look for it when I get home.
Gaucher, Cahill, Stern, Leffler, Ross, Lembke, Paschelka, Jagenow, Hansen, Larsen, Schwede, Boeck, Belgarde, Wilkie, St. Arnaude, Vandal, Helle, Opdal, Hetland, Veggeberg, Root, Ladd, Nelson, Osten, Peacock, Nikolas, Utley, Knott, Woodford, Shadford, Hatfield, Kirkpatrick