Author Topic: Im confused, female buried with 1st husband and 1st married name  (Read 1232 times)

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Im confused, female buried with 1st husband and 1st married name
« on: Monday 12 March 18 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Did this actually happen? Or am I missing something here...

Brownlow Hides (Hydes) married Ada Blackburn on the 17th March 1898 at Jarvis, Haldimand, Ontario.

I was researching Brownlow who had an accident at the Jarvis GTR Yard. A kind rootschat member sent me images of two newspaper articles re the accident. It turns out that Brownlow was a Sexton (caretaker) of the St Pauls Church in Jarvis. Upon his death, he was laid to rest in the church grounds.

Another kind Rootschat member visited the churchyard on his passings and sent me a few photographs of the headstone.

Ada, his wife died in 1958. The Headstone inscription reads:

Thy will be done.
BROWNLOW HYDES
1867-1914
ADA. His wife
1867-1958
NATIVES OF YORKSHIRE
ENGLAND

This Ada Hydes on the marriage record states her parents as William Blackburn and Sarah Ann Green.

Now the bit that confuses me, I wanted to close the research that I had so far and am trying to finish Ada on my tree as much as could. But all of a sudden I find a marriage record dated 21st June 1916 in Haldimand, Ontario for a Robert John Watson. He married a widow by the name of Ada Hydes. This Ada Hydes has the same parents, William Blackburn and Sarah Ann Green.

So if Ada Hydes married again, surely she would become Ada Watson. So why as Ada Watson, would she be buried as Ada Hydes with her 1st husband Brownlow. I understand being buried with Brownlow, its the surname throwing me off.

The Jarvis Record had an article on the 3rd January 1924, titled "Gives Service Book To St Paul's Church". (This is not the whole article) A revised prayer book of the Church Of England in Canada has been presented by Mrs R WATSON. An inscription read in loving memory of Brownlow Hydes. The Gift of His Widow.

Am I missing something?
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Im confused, female buried with 1st husband and 1st married name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 18 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't see the problem with this. The headstone doesn't mention Ada's surname. What does the burial register say?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
You know what, my mind been running in circles with this woman and i didnt see straight. I thought i saw Ada Hydes and even spending 15 mins to type my original question I didnt see it, till you posted that. Blimey im such an idiot.

Can this be deleted or am i a fool mortaly
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes we get too close to things and can't see straight. That's when a fresh pair of eyes can help!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
It would be interesting to see her will wouldn't it, as I presume she'd asked to be buried with her first husband and not her second? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I think what threw me off was she was buried with Brownlow as HIS WIFE. When to be factual, she was married to someone else.

But I had no excuse, i made an error, sorry I asked.

How would i find out if she had a will and how would someone obtain it. I live in England, UK so im not used to how the Canadians work with their records.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Were there any children from the first marriage? any from Ada's second marriage? was her 2nd husband married previously?

In the case of a widow remarrying to a widower it's not uncommon to find then later buried with their first spouses.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I think what threw me off was she was buried with Brownlow as HIS WIFE. When to be factual, she was married to someone else.

Again, I am not seeing the problem with that. She was his wife.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
There's a death for Robert John Watson, with same parents as on the marriage entry and same approx age:

18 June 1917, Norfolk, Ontario

So they were married for only a brief time.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***