Author Topic: Margaret Adam. Where is her DC or in 1881 if alive?  (Read 3471 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Adam. Where is her DC or in 1881 if alive?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Yeah! Ancestors with interesting connections are fun  ;)

Probably a good way to try to make contact with Graham Clark is through his publisher of this book?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the NRS Catalogue who have the trial listed. Different details for his father  :-\ However, he originally gave the name of Anderson and likely changed his father's name from John to James too it seems until it all unfolded and his true identity was confirmed?

AD14/35/19
Precognition against John Adam for the crime of murder at Kilcoy, Killearnan, Ross-shire
John Adam, alias Anderson, married. Son of James Anderson, farmer (deceased), Age: 31, Address: Townhead, on the estate of the Duke of Buccleuch, Origin: Native of Dalkeith
Execution referred to in Alex F Young 'The Encyclopaedia of Scottish Executions, 1750-1963', (1998), p.111.

Also

JC26/1835/126
John Adam, alias Anderson, married. Son of James Anderson, farmer (deceased), Verdict: Guilty, Sentence: Death - hanging by public executioner. Note: Case continued until 19 September 1835. Execution ordered for Friday, 16 October 1835, at Inverness. Pannel to be buried within precincts of the Tolbooth or prison of Inverness.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Lots of details aren't there for his actions www.whatson-north.co.uk/Whats-On/Books/Black-deed-on-the-Black-Isle-03012014.htm

Looks though as his bones might have been moved around a bit.... www.heraldscotland.com/news/12323057.Search_for_bones_at_police_HQ_Hunt_for_body_of_man_hanged_in_1835/

This likely what you found re Graham Clark's book on him? www.rootschat.com/links/01lqm/

He sounds a total nightmare you have to say......

Very readable this book. Enjoy. Amazing to have found this level of detail relating to your Margaret's family  :) This sort of find is what makes genealogy so fascinating.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
From the various refs, such as this one too, www.rootschat.com/links/01lql/ John Adam states that his mother was a tenant at that time in the mid 1830s in Craigiloch.

So happens in 1841 you have:

Betty Adam 70 Indpendent
Janet Adam 35

Address: Craigiloch, Lintrathen

Monica

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the NRS Catalogue who have the trial listed. Different details for his father  :-\ However, he originally gave the name of Anderson and likely changed his father's name from John to James too it seems until it all unfolded and his true identity was confirmed?

AD14/35/19
Precognition against John Adam for the crime of murder at Kilcoy, Killearnan, Ross-shire
John Adam, alias Anderson, married. Son of James Anderson, farmer (deceased), Age: 31, Address: Townhead, on the estate of the Duke of Buccleuch, Origin: Native of Dalkeith
Execution referred to in Alex F Young 'The Encyclopaedia of Scottish Executions, 1750-1963', (1998), p.111.

Also

JC26/1835/126
John Adam, alias Anderson, married. Son of James Anderson, farmer (deceased), Verdict: Guilty, Sentence: Death - hanging by public executioner. Note: Case continued until 19 September 1835. Execution ordered for Friday, 16 October 1835, at Inverness. Pannel to be buried within precincts of the Tolbooth or prison of Inverness.

Monica

Hi Monica

Many thanks for finding more links about John Adam. He certainly was a compulsive liar! I have read the link you gave me here https://goo.gl/84apPf and as you say he confirms his mother was a tenant at Craigiloch after initially lying about his name and where he hails from. It's like he lived in a completely different reality.

Thank you for finding his mother in 1841. This will be the Betty Chapland/Chaplin and his sister Janet that I have born. 1805.

This likely what you found re Graham Clark's book on him? www.rootschat.com/links/01lqm/

Yes, this is the part in the book that google took me too.

It appears he was a deserter from the Army too, and after he had done so he went to stay at Craigiloch. Trying to find army records for him on F***M*P*** (the only site I have a subscription on at present) with not much luck.

He sounds utterly unpleasant! However, I'm excited to see that I have a source of information regarding his family. I'm very fortunate in this regard as most people do not have this kind of resource for this time period.

I will definitely look up the publisher and make contact. I'm very interested to her if Graham Clark has any further info that may not be in the book. If he's willing to part with that.

I'll also have to take trip to Edinburgh and go to the gallery where is death mask is. Unbelievable the skeletons that come out the closet when you look deep enough!

Thanks again for finding more information out re; John Adam. Love it!

Liv.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie