Author Topic: Katsinellenboggin  (Read 2384 times)

Offline doonayr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Katsinellenboggin
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Both pictures look incredible as if they had just been taken..   Fantastic job.   Many thanks to you both for your time and ability to bring the past back to  life.   Many, many thanks !     Doonayr

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Doonayr, I'm glad you like them! The photo was interesting to work on - a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. Like trying to figure out whether a 'white curving line' across someone's chest was a crack/crease (damage) or a lanyard that was part of the uniform. The same applies to 'white dots': were they "damage" or buttons/badges? Gradually I got a better idea of what different uniforms looked like, what to leave and what to remove.

Do you have any more information about this group? I'd be interested to learn more. There are youngsters with different uniforms, adult bagpipe players, there were drummers and there's a pile of brass instruments in the foreground. Some kind of marching band I would guess. But I'm curious about the mix of adults and youngsters (and the military-looking uniforms).

Just curious,

Mike

Both pictures look incredible as if they had just been taken..   Fantastic job.   Many thanks to you both for your time and ability to bring the past back to  life.   Many, many thanks !     Doonayr
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your kind words, doonayr. :D
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 March 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Where did the weird spelling come from?
It should be Katzenellenbogen = cat's elbow, though I don't know what the significance is.
Later: just discovered it's a small town (not much more than a village) in the Taunus region,
and is spelled (somewhat irregularly) Katzenelnbogen

Anyway, you folks did brilliant jobs on the photo -- especially considering there wasn't want attached!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 March 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I remember it as the title of a song when I was little  ;D :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjTmXT58nk

It's a place in Germany.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Where did the weird spelling come from?
It should be Katzenellenbogen = cat's elbow, though I don't know what the significance is.
Isn't it a variety of wine?

I also remember the song : "Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellenbogen by the sea".

But ... I am (vaguely) related to the KATZENELLENBOGEN Family, so I found this snippet quite interesting.

Roughly translated, it means
 [1] A corruption of the hebrew  Kazim Elim Bochen  - translated:  the sole leader of the tribe.

regards,
Bob

Google Books
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 March 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the origin of the name, Bob.  I did wonder whether cats have elbows!

The word Verballhornung is often translated as bowdlerization, but in fact Johann Ballhorn was no Bowdler.  Far from deliberately "cleaning up" the classics to make them suitable reading for young ladies, he was simply incompetent and introduced so many errors in his legal texts that they sometimes meant quite the opposite of what was intended.

In this case it just means popular etymology.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds