Author Topic: 1911 & 1921 census in Canada (Montreal)  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Crabbykat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1911 & 1921 census in Canada (Montreal)
« on: Monday 12 March 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello one and all, I am really hoping someone can help me I am baffled.  I cannot for the life of me find my great grandparents on the census in Canada (Montreal), I have looked everywhere...
my g-grandfather was Frederick Harding and his wife was Louisa bailey b in Newfoundland.  they had William in b 1906, Francis b in 1907 and Albert 1909, Ralph 1911, Ruth 1921 they lived in Montreal around the nutriment - or mount royal area, i have tried every possible way to find them but am not able to... can someone please help me.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 & 1921
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to RootsChat

Can see some of the baptisms in the Drouins collection - Francis Charles - district Hochelaga - 30 December 1907 - Methodist Sherbrooke Street  (and his marriage in 1932 Montreal)
and R C (Ruth Clara)  9 June 1921   St-Laurent, Québec (Quebec).
Albert George Norris  - Montreal City - 20 August 1909 - Methodist Sherbrooke Street
William Frederick - baptised 7 October 1905 - Anglican Saint Edward

Sadly not having any luck with those census though  :'(

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Crabbykat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra appreciate you looking, you are right with what you have found, I have all those documents as well, the children were all my great uncles and remember them like it was yesterday.  Oh I noticed I misspelled Outremont, must have been watching hockey during that moment.

I know it seems to be so difficult to find the census I have tried different variations with no luck.  I know when I looked up my paternal side their last name was Campbell and I could not find the 1911 census, it turns out they were listed under Campeau and it took me a long time to find that.

My uncle Charlie was born in 1924 and aunty Ruth in 1921, Harding their other children maybe with some luck i will find the 1921 census... here's hoping... :-)

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you can find them on the 1921 census using an address. 

There is only one Fred Harding in the 1920/21 and 1921/22 Montreal and area directory.  He is a clerk.  Address is 3310 Burman.

1922/23 directory has this Fred AND has a Frederick J Harding at 245 Hampton Av.

http://bibnum2.banq.qc.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 05:05 GMT (UK) »
I looked in some directories from the 1930s... the Fred who is a clerk is now at 7416 Birnam.  There is also a Francis Harding at that same address.  This appears to be in the Outremont/Mount Royal area...not far from the University.

Welcome to RootsChat :) :) :)

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 08:29 GMT (UK) »
The marriage was 20 December1905 - Methodist Sherbrooke Street - Frederick (bachelor - clerk - of Montreal) Louisa Amelia (spinster - minor with consent of parents)

Perhaps it would be more advantageous for a moderator to move this thread to the Canadian board  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you can find them on the 1921 census using an address. 

There is only one Fred Harding in the 1920/21 and 1921/22 Montreal and area directory.  He is a clerk.  Address is 3310 Burman.

1922/23 directory has this Fred AND has a Frederick J Harding at 245 Hampton Av.

http://bibnum2.banq.qc.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

RK

The Library and Archives Canada site has a street index for the 1921 census (for the larger cities). Burman is District 169, subdistrict 35.  You may have to page through the census to find them, but at least this helps to narrow down your search

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1921/Documents/1921-Census-Street-Index-Montreal-EN.pdf

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 & 1921 census in Canada (Montreal)
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:37 GMT (UK) »
If you don't see them there (I took a quick peek and didn't see them), then you might check the Districts with subdistricts "Ahuntsic-Bordeaux".  Looking in the Montreal Directory for 1921/22, under the Street Directory section... it says that Burman goes north from 489 Beaumont Av, Park Av Extension, Ahuntsic-Bordeaux ward.   Listed at number 3310 is F Harding. 

(the 1920/21 directory says exactly the same thing). 

I posted the link to the directories earlier.  You can take a look there  :)

I can't see Burman on a modern map of Montreal, but you can find 489 Beaumont...and  Park Avenue.  Perhaps Burman street has a new name now, but it is in the same area as Birnam street (where the family is living in the 1930s.). 

You may have to page through a few subdistricts to find them, but at least this narrows your search somewhat.

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 & 1921 census in Canada (Montreal)
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
As for 1911

The 1910/11 and 1911/12 directories show Frederic Harding, clerk, living at 327 Drolet. 

If you look for it on an online map.... you can see that Drolet is just west of Rue St-Denis, and number 327 is just north of Rue St Joseph O (Ouest/West). 

According to this map of 1911 Districts... this address is in the Maisonneuve District.
http://jgs-montreal.org/images/montreal-census-1911.jpg

Back to the library and archives Canada site...
Maisonneuve District is number 172.

Back to the street listings in the 1910/11 and 1911/12 Montreal directories.... Drolet is in the St. Louis, St. Jean Baptiste and St. Denis wards.   :'(  That is a lot to look through, but at least it is not as bad as paging through the 1911 census for the entire City!!

Looking under the Maisonneuve District (on the Library and Archives Canada site)... I see several subdistricts in the St Jean Baptiste and in the St Denis wards.... but none in the St. Louis ward.  So a part of Drolet is weeded out :)

RK