Author Topic: Going Digital - How Do I ?  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Going Digital - How Do I ?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
That's my sort of thing ! What other free sites are there, and/or how do I find them ?

There is an (older) topic here, that will help. Last checked in 2013 but many of the links will still be available.

Topic: What's Free on the Net - Part 2
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=337212.0
It's worth repeating the last comment of that topic here:
Just a reminder for anybody else looking that ALL the resources boards on Rootschat are, effectively "What's Free on the Net" - it was thought much tider to have resources boards arranged by county etc..

In general, browsing the board "Useful Links" (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/useful-links/ ) should bring up lots of ... dare I say it ? ... useful (and free) links :)

Good luck,
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, newbeginings:

Websites that offer digitized newspaper archives can be an excellent resource as well.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline newbeginings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all.  You've given me plenty homework to get on with !!!  :)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest downloading a free version of RootsMagic, or any software of your choice, and playing with it for a while. Start by entering your name, then your parents, etc. until you get the 'feel' of it. That's what I did, except there were no downloads back then so I bought a cheap family tree program on CD, then tried a few others which were given away with magazines, eventually settling on RootsMagic.

Most programs let you export a GEDCOM file of your data which can then be imported into a different program if you find one you like better.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Plenty of good advice already but my first thought would be to ensure you have backups of your paper research. It could take a while to transfer into a digital system and it'd be a shame to lose it (eg flood, fire etc) before you completed the transfer.

A scanner, digital camera or even smart phone (if it has a decent camera) should suffice, and all should be reasonably quick. If you use a smart phone there are plenty of scanner apps that process images to improve the output files (eg straighten, crop, colour correction).
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline newbeginings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Really good point re the paper backups ! Guess what I'm going to be doing with my individual index sheets and tree on a roll of wallpaper tomorrow !