Author Topic: Grandfather's enlistment/conscription.  (Read 697 times)

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandfather's enlistment/conscription.
« on: Tuesday 13 March 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone enlighten me as to exactly how easy it would have been for a man to enlist using a name other than that given at birth,I mean,was it not a requirement to produce official documentation as proof of identity?
Calland/Campbell/Pilkington/Wignall/Varley/Briscoe

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather's enlistment/conscription.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
While the attached is about soldiers joining up under age, I think it answers your question, particularly the bit about birth certs and the lack of them. http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zcvdhyc.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MaxD,it does,as you say,answer the question I raised,however,I'm still no nearer to discovering my g.father's actual service history,but I appreciate your reply.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Please bear in mind that nearly two-thirds of all the WW1 Service Records were destroyed in a fire after a WW2 bombing raid.

If he served abroad, there should be a Medal Index Card (MIC)?
Other records are becoming available, too.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Just linking with KGarrad's post - did you ask the question because you can't find him under his real name and you thought perhaps he may have joined under a different name?

As KG says, some elements of records survive and unless he is John Smith when it may be difficult, it may be possible to find a trace.  Would you like to post his (real) name and date/place of birth and anything else relevant, bearing in mind what KG says about the majority of detailed records.

MaxD 

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I have an interesting example of this in my family. Two full brothers whose biological father (Mr M) had died. One brother was brought up by his maternal grandmother and her second husband, Mr E  (he was unofficially given the step grandfather's surname). The other brother was brought up by the biological mother and her second husband Mr A (he took the step father's name). The boys attended school and grew up with different surnames. In 1914 they enlisted both using their "acquired" names. Later the older one was told he could "claim" his younger brother so they might serve together. Of course that was when the name difference came to light. It was decided they could only serve together if they used their correct surname so they both reverted to that name from that point onwards. I was told that it was only on their wedding day that my grandmother was informed that she would be Mrs M and not Mrs E. I am not sure that part could be true - what about the banns? Certainly though throughout their courtship my grandfather was E and not M. This does not answer the original question and I too would be interested to know if there was a requirement to produce official documentation. I guess there would be a great many who did not have such a thing. So far I too have not been able to find my grandfather's records under either of his names.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
The answer is in the piece I cited.  Although there may have officially been a requirement for people to prove their identity/age, in innumerable cases the recruiters didn't ask for any proof and while it was sometimes discovered it didn't always happen.  One must remember the sheer numbers involved, the lack of universal documentation compared to today and the pressure to get the numbers into the service.
Not finding any record is - see KGarrad's post.  Medal cards probably exist in his name but they have no personal info so always a long shot.
MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
I had a reply earlier,but managed to screw it up as I'm forced to use this idiotic postage stamp sized tablet thing, I'll wait till I have access to my laptop later on and post the relevant info, thank you all for your help so far.

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MaxD. My thoughts exactly re the sheer numbers involved.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields