Author Topic: Medal card for Private Alexander G. McGregor (Help)  (Read 2105 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Medal card for Private Alexander G. McGregor (Help)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 14:40 GMT (UK) »
The area of London where the battalion had its depot at the very beginning of its existence was Alexandra Park Racecourse in central north London so many would have been from that area.   However, suitable recruits would be sent there from anywhere, a newspaper report from Aberdeen in March 1915 notes one recruit to the 18th.  Certainly later in 1915 and into 1916, the army simply put people where they were needed so it doesn't follow that the Middlesex Regiment was full of Middlesex men although being born in Hornsey puts him very near. 

To get a feel for his war, you could look at the battalion war diaries although the only one for which we have a start date is the 18th.  That can be downloaded for £3.50 at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353815
As we have no indication of when he left the 18th and served in the later two battalions, I am not sure what would be gained by looking at those which are at:
3/10th   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352155 (not overseas until June 1917)
4th  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354085 (from July 1916)
It is highly unlikely that you will find him mentioned by name in any of them.

The only documents that have survived are the medal records, some 70% of detailed service records were lost in WW2.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much! Your help has been invaluable.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I should have said that if you have an Ancestry sub, the war diaries are there and I can direct you to them.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I think one kind user searched the war diaries and couldn't find any individual mention, but it would be interesting. Sadly I don't know where he was when or indeed whom he was with.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Also, how big was the Middlesex Regiment in WW1 in terms of men? And are there any figures about the 18th battalion, 3/10th battalion and 4th battalion?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
This link gives you the establishment figures:
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/definitions-of-units/what-was-a-battalion-of-infantry/

This link gives you the number of battalions in the regiment
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/the-duke-of-cambridges-own-middlesex-regiment/

multiply one by the other to get a ball park figure although the reserve battalions and those home service only had fewer men.

When 18th Battalion disembarked in France they numbered 29 officers, 1 Medical Officer, 1 Chaplain and 977 other ranks.  Clearly numbers fluctuated throughout.
4th on arrival in France had 31 officers, 1076 other ranks, 58 horses and an additional 254 men "blistered on".
Haven't got a figure for the 3/10th but you get the idea.

I recommend http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/ - a superb mine of information of all sorts about the Great War.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 November 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Having read a military history of the 18th battalion (1st public works) it states that the battalion ‘arrived on the Somme in early July 1916 and took part in the fighting between Bazentin and High Wood in July and August 1916.‘ Did the battalion fight, despite being a pioneer battalion primarily? Or does it just mean that the battalion was present? I’d assume they were all trained with weapons.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/somme1916.wordpress.com/2015/12/16/middlesex-regiment-on-the-somme/amp/

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 December 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Pioneer battalions were first and foremost fighting men with particular skills in road building entrenching and demolition (Source No Labour No battle).  Skimming the battalion war diary for Jul/August 1916 they seem to have spent most of the time on their pioneer work which the history may well have legitimately classed as "took part in the fighting".  You'd be best advised to read the diary which is very detailed.  National Archives at:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353815 also to be found on Ancestry if you have a sub. 
MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 December 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MaxD! I’ll take a look now.