Author Topic: Norwich French/Dutch Church look up?  (Read 765 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Norwich French/Dutch Church look up?
« on: Tuesday 13 March 18 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If anyone has the French/Dutch Church records at Norwich and wouldn't mind looking up a surname or person.

I have a massive brick wall with my 6th grt grandfather Charles. I don't know exactly where he was from but he enlisted in East Anglia to the 1st Dragoon guards around 1793.
On Musters he is listed as Charles DEBRIX
Whilst a Soldier he marries Judith WATLER/WATLEN in Salisbury 1797 and is listed as Charles DEBROOKS. As I don't know his age I'll just put it at about born 1770 as he wouldn't be too young if he enlisted.
His children are baptised under the names DAYBROOKS/DEBREX/DEBOREX/DEBORAX and one recorded as DEVEREUX.

The family never use the name Devereux or a variation themselves, the children and their descendent's use DEBREX/DEBROX.

I have yet to find Charles anywhere and seeing as he enlisted in East Anglia and the Continental look of his name, I think he may have been apart of the Congregation or at least his family may have been.

Me and a Cousin through Charles think the name is most likely an Anglicization of DeBrouq/Debrouques/Debreuques/Debriques/Debrouke/Debroukes etc so could have French/Walloon/Dutch origins as the family consistently use DEB over DEV.

I'm just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to check the registers for any similar names, I did have the CD but I cant find it unfortunately.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
Re: Norwich French/Dutch Church look up?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 18 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is any help but there are marriage banns of a Samuel DABBRICKS to a Lucy BROOKES in the St John de Sepulchre Church, Norwich on the 1st, 8th and 15th June 1776.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk