Author Topic: WDYTYA USA  (Read 4006 times)

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA USA
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Recorded it so we still have it to watch,it’s on BT tv as well
Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »

Courteney Cox hoped her forebears hadn’t murdered anyone, but found that real life is often more gruesome than Game of Thrones
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/mar/20/who-do-you-think-you-are-usa-review-monica-courteney-cox-ancestors

Bob

I do like the last line:

And the only downside is that it also means ... she’s Danny Dyer’s cousin.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 March 18 12:18 GMT (UK) »

I do like the last line:

And the only downside is that it also means ... she’s Danny Dyer’s cousin.

Hopefully, she'll never know!

I recorded it and watched it last night. I'm not usually very keen on these episodes which purport to prove the subject is related to royalty nor to those that concentrate on one ancestor but, strangely, I quite enjoyed this. She's was obviously interested in the history and proved to be an intelligent lady.

Did anyone else notice that they'd brought in the 'big guns' (so not short of funding then! Lo! there was a sighting of the elusive Nick Barrett who used to pop up on any programme vaguely to do with genealogy - and then went missing for years. Perhaps the BBC can no longer afford him! We also had quite a few top teaching professors rather than the local amateurs that the British version usually trots out.

Never heard of the lady who is next week's subject - Julie Bowen - but will probably still record it.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 March 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
interesting episode

nice

xin

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 08:45 BST (UK) »
Jennifer Grey concentrated efforts on her maternal Great Grandfather who travelled from Russia to USA in 1907 with his siblings. Mother was deceased and father was in Brooklyn already.
I liked that she requested printouts of what was found on her ancestors.

Jennifer featured in film Dirty Dancing over 20 years ago.

Jfch

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 April 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
Anyone still watching these US episodes?

I find some of the participants very demanding for information and consequently can't warm to them or their stories.  They get told something amazing you or I would have a hard time finding out and immediately bark out more and more demands for information.

Can understand the thirst for knowledge so maybe it's just the way they say it!  I like to think I would be more polite about it. 

Have just watched Sean Hayes and enjoyed that one but wish he had gone a little further at the end and discovered some Irish records like baptism, marriage for his ancestor whist he was actually there in person. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 April 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Some WDYTYA's. are on Youtube. Very few UK ones. Watched one the other day, Ainslee Harriott, chef, writer and TV personality. Marvellous, being from Jamaica he was prepared for slave history. That came up but as it went back, he is descended from slave owners and white slave owners! 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 April 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
I watched the one the other week on Jane somebody or other (never heard of her) and she was just as Milliepede described. I think its the American way - they always seem to have so much self confidence and just barge their way through. So, if they haven't got any charm as well (and this lady didn't have much) they come across as very strident and demanding. Courtenay Cox and Jennifer Grey were both okay.

The latest one was one of my favourites - Noah Wyle - I've liked him ever since his ER days. It wasn't particularly exciting but it chugged along nicely and he was very interested in it all. I liked his intelligent but laid back approach.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 April 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed the Jennifer Grey one just for the discovery that she was Joel Grey's daughter.

A few from past series have been really good, I particularly enjoyed the Cynthia Nixon one, and also Kelsey Grammer.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.