Author Topic: Pattersons of Feakle  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Clare Lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pattersons of Feakle
« on: Tuesday 13 March 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm new here so trying to find my way around the site. I'm looking for information on the Pattersons of Feakle, especially sister of Johnny Patterson, her name was Betty, born around 1830s maybe. Does anyone know anything about her & can help me?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Pattersons of Feakle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat  ;D

Feakle is in County Clare, Ireland, so hopefully a moderator will move your question into the Irish section, where many others who are researching in Ireland will see it.

It looks like the NLI PRs don't start until 1860 so that is not going to help you with 1830 https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0784
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Clare Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I have traced the family back to 1860s but cannot seem to get any further but I need to find out about this lady.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked Clare county Library and what they have? http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/places/feacle.htm
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Is this the Johnny Patterson who was supposed to have a sister Betty? born in Kilbarron but raised by an uncle in Ennis-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Patterson
https://www.townlands.ie/clare/tulla-upper/feakle/coolreagh/kilbarron/

This page mentions he had 2 sisters sent to Killaloe after parents died-
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/music/johnny_patterson_bradshaw2.htm

The Parish Records that iluleah mentioned are Catholic ones but do you know what religion the Patterson would have been?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Clare Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
That's the same Johnny. His sister is said to have went to Killaloe but I don't know how much older  than him she was or who she went to live with in Killaloe. I do know that his daughter later on went to live with an aunt in Killaloe so that had to be Betty & she married a Catholic. I'm familiar with the story Johnny but not his sister.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
The Clare Library link mentioned two sisters so how can you be sure Betty was the one Johnny's daughter stayed with in Killaloe?
What was the daughter's name and when was she born? did she stay in Ireland?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Clare Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming it's Betty that went to Killaloe but not certain. I come from Killaloe & my father Jack Noonan is credited with some of the information in that Rambler from Clare Biography. But it states that Jack Noonan was the son of Johnny Patterson's sister Betty.. Well Jack is dead & I've discovered both his grandmothers and neither of them are Betty. So I'm trying to trace the great great grandparents but I can't find anything that goes back that far. I found my great grandfather John Noonan & on his marriage cert his father is John Noonan I can't find that John either. We were never given the names of Johnny's sisters.

Offline Clare Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Johnny himself had 2 daughters. One was called Norah and she was killed in her mother's circus at the age of 9. The other daughter Bridget married a Matthew Tuohy in Killaloe & they had 11 children who are all gone now.