Author Topic: moodie Fife and Perth  (Read 2967 times)

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
moodie Fife and Perth
« on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Trying to do the Moodie family for a relative, my relative was told many years ago by someone in Australia who had done the family tree, that they where related to Captain  George Moodie , of the Cutty sark ;) I have done an extensive tree for her and can't find a connection, please can anyone help, I have got back with evidence from Scotlandspeople to David Moodie who married Catharine Ritchie at Kinnoull  Perth in 1805 this family do eventually end up in Dysart through their grandson David Moodie who was born 1851 at Dunnichen Forfar Angus,  their descendants now live in Fife David's parents where William Ritchie Moodie and Margaret Shepherd, who married at Perth 1840, William being the son of David Richie and Catharine Ritchie, any help will be most appreciated many thanks, Nikitah.   

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: moodie Fife and Perth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
http://www.methilheritage.org.uk/content/pages/cutty-sark---george-moodie.php

Given his parents are shown you could chase his family to see if they cross. 

Then again the information on the above site could be incorrect.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, DonM, I did look at that site , and I think it's very accurate, other than a few of Alexander and Alison's children are missing , possibly because they didn't live to adulthood , I can't find a birth for David Moodie who married Catharine Ritchie in 1805 at Kinnoull. I think if they are connected to my cousins Moodie's they must be connected round about the late 1700's, I just can't find any other answer. I'll keep digging. many thanks, Nikitah

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Unless you can identify David's parents it will impossible to prove.

BTW...George's father died in 1875; his parents were Alexander/Elizabeth Graham and they were married in Dysart in 1790.

Good hunting

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 18 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Once again thank you DonM, You are right , I know, but try telling a novice, who has believed for many years they are related ::) the first part of their tree was relatively easy, I'm working now back from David who married Margaret Moncrieff or Jackson in 1873 at Kinglassie Fife, their son Thomas Moncrieff Moodie is the line I am following, his parents marriage place and date are on Thomas's birth certificate, 1896, so the  only marriage for that year at Kinglassie to a Margaret is the one to Margaret Jackson, then that leads me to why Margaret was Moncrieff or Jackson only to find she was the illegitimate daughter of Grace Watt and M Moncrieff, of Perth, Margaret was named Margaret Taylor ::) hope you are keeping up?, Grace was married to a David Jackson who died a short time later, then in1850 Margaret was born at Aberdour, then Grace watt/Jackson married James Scott at Kinglassie in 1858. We can find the family of David and Margaret living at Nags Head Jedburgh David is a innkeeper, more confusion there because on his son Thomas's birth certificate he says he is a master joiner, Margaret and David are very kind to us, they don't quite use the Scottish naming pattern but they do add all the surnames they have picked up along the way as middle names, because they named their first son William and a daughter Margaret Shepherd Moodie, that takes me to David's parents who are William Moodie and Margaret Shepherd They married at Perth 1840 ,William Moodie was born at Kinnoull in 1813 Margaret Shepherd was born at Collace Perth in 1815, they both died at Dysart.    William Moodie was the son of David Moodie who married Catharine Ritchie at Kinnoull in1805.      So you see if they are related to George Moodie it has to be at this point or further back. I know it would have helped if they had stayed in one place, Thanks for bearing with me . Nikitah     

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again I decided to find a death for David  and Catharine, Catharine died at Dundee, going further away from Wemyss and Dysart, so took a stab at David Moodie who died at Dundee age 72 in 1848,purchased it from Scotlandspeople only to find 2x pages of deaths most of which had parents names, just my luck, no parents names for David, it does however tell me he was born at St Martins Perthshire, there's only one David Moodie born in 1776 and he was born at Scone to John Moodie no mother's name given, there are three John Moodie marriages in Perthshire for that period . I don't think it's leading me to the family of George Moodie  ;D. many thanks, Nikitah

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I  heard the story of Captain Moodie from a Naval Surgeon I served with in the Royal Navy; during the conversation we had he stated his name was spelt MUDIE, the same as mine, not MOODIE as published, that's what brought up the subject.  He seemed to be a bit of a authority on the Captain so I presumed he be right. Never gave it a second thought till now..

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Stob Ban, I traced my relatives side back as far as I could, I never found a connection,, I did a tree for the captains family and one for my relatives, then asked them to see if they could find the connection as I couldn't, needless to say I've not heard any more. Not sure about the Mudie Moodie thing as the tree I did for the Captain was definitely Moodie, the further I went back for my relative it seems this branch came from Perth and Stirling area , as with most things in family history we will probably never know the truth. many thanks, Nikitah.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Nikitah,
What a great name, love it...anyway Nikitah thank you for your reply.  I am a Mudie and do hail from Perth but in actual fact Mudie etc. is a Dundonian  name i.e. from Dundee.  The name Mudie is not pronounced the same as Moodie, the U in Mudie is pronounced ''you''  mUdie. It's a completely  different name and really not the same Clan as the Moodies.  Not a whole bunch of people know this but it is factual.  I've lived with this name for 73 years now and have been called Mr. muddie, in mud, Mr. Mundie. etc. and for explanations sake, I just say, Yes!!

I'm going to have a closer look at your thread and will determine if I can help in anyway.......Bye for now, Nikitah......................Ron.