Author Topic: Trying to locate my Henning family in Hull  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate my Henning family in Hull
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I have already investigated and discounted the New York one, wife and daughters were born in Germany and the ages would count aginst it being my Charles.

Are we looking at the same record?  In 1870 the daughters are Caroline 6 and Ann 4, both born New York, and in 1880 the only daughters is Annie aged 15.  The first child is therefore born c1864, so well within the timescale for Charles to have left England & settled in the US.  His Naturalisation is dated 5 Oct 1868.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8XV-XYW
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline keeperofthematrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Ann Henning was buried at Holy Trinity, Hull on 22 May 1880. Age is given as 54 and address as King Street.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
The death of the Charles in NY is possibly across the Hudson in Kearny, New Jersey in 1896 - aged 64 & born Norway.

Kearny is a suburb of Newark, New Jersey, and the Newark city directories to 1897 have a Charles/Chas Henning, Carpenter (they would probably have been compiled the previous year)  :-\

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Ann Henning was buried at Holy Trinity, Hull on 22 May 1880. Age is given as 54 and address as King Street.
Yes 3 Handleys Place, New King St.
YORKSHIRE: Duffin, Henning, Hampshire, Allerston, McLaren, Levett
NORTHANTS: Garton, Eady

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/stevegartongenealogy

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I have already investigated and discounted the New York one, wife and daughters were born in Germany and the ages would count aginst it being my Charles.

Are we looking at the same record?  In 1870 the daughters are Caroline 6 and Ann 4, both born New York, and in 1880 the only daughters is Annie aged 15.  The first child is therefore born c1864, so well within the timescale for Charles to have left England & settled in the US.  His Naturalisation is dated 5 Oct 1868.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8XV-XYW
Sorry yes I must have found another record as this one certainly is interesting, as is the death record. It might also explain why his marriage to Ann only produced a single child, unusual in those times. Will have to research and see if there was a divorce, and passengers lists too. thanks for this much appreciated.  The one thing that would scupper this is that on the death cert for Ann Henning 19th May 1880 she is given as wife of Charles Henning a shipping clerk. If he had disappeared some 15 years or so earlier why would he be noted on the death cert? seems unlikely.....

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
The one thing that would scupper this is that on the death cert for Ann Henning 19th May 1880 she is given as wife of Charles Henning a shipping clerk. If he had disappeared some 15 years or so earlier why would he be noted on the death cert? seems unlikely.....

I think you might find that it was quite shameful in previous centuries to have to admit your husband left you.  On the other hand he might have convinced his wife that the only job he could secure with the shipping company was as a clerk in the USA and had been sending money back to England.

I have one aunt who told the family her OH had died during WWII sailing on an arctic convoy. He  signed on as a cook although was a surgeon and had actually been in the navy during WWI.  I knew the name of the ship but research showed it plied betwwen Britain and the Mediterrnean Sea.  He actually died in a London hotel after mistakenly taking too many tablets, according to the enquiry.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
My GG Grandmother was deserted in 1879 - her husband Henry went to America & remarried - but her 1923 death certificate still named her as the wife of Henry, even though he'd been gone for almost 45 years!

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Ok so this would seem a distinct possibility that Charles did a runner, so I now need to find him on a ships passenger list after 1861. Thanks for all the help.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been able to find him on a passenger list unfortunately.  The earliest record I've found is in 1867 at 68 Cherry, New York, occupation Seaman (Trow's New York Directory 1867-1868).