Author Topic: Trying to locate my Henning family in Hull  (Read 872 times)

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trying to locate my Henning family in Hull
« on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a Henning line in Hull one of whom, my gg grandfather Charles Henning is a brick wall. I know he married Ann Wilson (Levett) in 1859 and my g grandfather William Robert Henning was born the following year. I have Charles on the 1861 census but after that all I have is that when his wife passed away in 1880 she was named as "wife of" on her death cert. Any tips much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve
YORKSHIRE: Duffin, Henning, Hampshire, Allerston, McLaren, Levett
NORTHANTS: Garton, Eady

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/stevegartongenealogy

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate my Henning family in Hull
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
1859 Marriage was at all saints sculcoates.
What age, occupation, address,  witneses appear there?

Where does the levett name come in?

Nor can i see them in 1861. Can you provide the references,  or a direct link on familysearch?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
This is them in 1861 - he's a Ship's Carpenter born Norway, and his age has reduced from when he married  ::)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7YC-68T

Added: Swett/Sweet should be Levett
GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham. MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  JACKSON: East Yorks, North Yorks, Durham. TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Charles 27 address was Robinson Row and Ann 28 was Air Street. Ann was born Ann Levett, her first marriage was to a william wilson. Charles was a carpenter son of Charles a horse doctor. Witnesses: John Glen & Catherine Dinning

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have the 1861 census thanks but no more after that date as previously stated.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have the 1861 census thanks but no more after that date as previously stated.

Hi Steve

I understand that you already have the 1861 but I posted it so that others don't have to search for it.  Before we go forward to search for him we need as much information as possible - such as age, occupation & place of birth - which the 1861 & the marriage certificate both provide.
GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham. MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  JACKSON: East Yorks, North Yorks, Durham. TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census shows him as being a ship's carpenter, whch, in the days of wooden sailing ships, could entail his being away at sea.

This website has the 1881 crew list database of all British ships.

I see there are some with the surname Henning.  As most official British records were required to state full name, he might not be noted as Charles/Charlie/Chas but that name would be reflected as an initial "C" for a middle name.

The logs are displayed as images, which is a bit of an eye strain.

https://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/crews1881.php
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy
MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell
Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar
Ross, Urray:Mackenzie
Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell
Perthshire: Brown Ferguson
Wales: McCarthy, Thomas
England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells
Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 20:06 GMT (UK) »
It may be worth investigating the Charles Henning born Norway c1833 who appears on the New York census from 1870 onwards, running a boarding house for sailors. 

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the crew lists link dont see any evidence that my Charles is amongst them.

I have already investigated and discounted the New York one, wife and daughters were born in Germany and the ages would count aginst it being my Charles.