Author Topic: MELDRUM  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Celtic3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MELDRUM
« on: Wednesday 14 March 18 01:54 GMT (UK) »
New to this forum. Looking for any information on Alexander Meldrum born about 1771 in Invernesshire.    Married to Anne MacDonald born about 1775.  They were married in Laggan, Inverness on 8 Dec 1796 as per Scotland, Select Marriages, 1561 - 1910.    Children:  Robert Meldrum or MacDonald born 27 June 1794 at Laggan,Inverness.  He married Jane Stewart (1804-1885)  in Kingussie & Insch on 3 Jan 1828;     Margaret Meldrum  christened 16 Dec 1798 Kingussie & Insch;   
 John Alexander Meldrum born about 1804 in Invernesshire. Married Catherine Abigail Wood (1832 - 1911) in Cornwall, Storomont, Ontario, Canada on 22 Sept 1854.
Any information on this family would be greatly appreciated.
Meldrum, Macdonald, Robertson, Powrie, Roy &  Walker all in Scotland.
Phelan in Kilkenny, Ireland

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MELDRUM
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Celtic3.

Are you looking to go backwards from Alexander, or forwards from his children?

Have you looked to see if anyone on here is researching your family, by looking in 'Surname Interests'under 'Your Tools' below.

Have you looked on Ancestry or other similar sites that have peoples' ancestors showing on-line?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Did John Alexander, 1804, marry in Scotland before that marriage in Canada, as he would have been 50 for the canadian one?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 06:59 GMT (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry has Catherine Abigail Wood marrying Alexander James Meldrum, son of John Alexander Meldrum, I have not had chance to check this out, so easily wrong information, but your comments appreciated.

Offline Celtic3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Already I made an error. The Meldrum that married Catherine Abigail Wood was born in 1830 and came to Canada with his parents at the age of 2 or 3.   I am hoping to trace family in Scotland as am going there this year. I have a tree on ancestry and have contacted others.  This is my third great grandparents.  I have found much information on the Woods family as they were UEL. Ann Elizabeth Meldrum daughter of Alexander (1830) and Catherine Abigail married John Robertson in Ontario.  I can trace Robertsons back to Perthshire .

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
As I have a friend with the same surname, I noticed,  18 months ago while visiting the cemetery on Hartlepool Headland,  that there was a Meldrum buried there. Are you interested in further details?

Martin

Offline Celtic3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I would be delighted to receive any information in connection to this name. Could you tell me where Hartlepool Headland is located?  As we will be in Inverness this June I would like to gather whatever data there is. Thank you.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 20:41 GMT (UK) »
The headland is here.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Headland,+Hartlepool+TS24+0JP/@54.7017317,-1.2063799,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487ef406b6ab8ae9:0x3976575679ca5bd2!8m2!3d54.696289!4d-1.1855659

I can send you a private message if you want one, with a photo of the headstone and the general area.  I just happened to notice it while looking for an ancestor.  As it is an unusual name, and I have a friend with the name, I noticed it in the long grass!

Martin

PS Inverness is a great city.  From where are you travelling?

Offline Celtic3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
We will be leaving from British Columbia, Canada to Glasgow. From there we shall be taking train to Inverness. We are spending about a week there then taking a rental car to Skye and the Orkneys.  I would love to see the headstone. Thank you.