Author Topic: Where is Colane  (Read 1902 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Colane
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Northern Whig, 5 Oct.1915: BICYCLE ACCIDENT NEAR LURGAN. ... September, wilfully neglected have a lighted lamp attached to his bicycle, whereby caused bodily harm [to?] Francis Lennon, of Cole Lane, Aghagallon, who is at present lying in Lurgan Infirmary with a fractured leg. Evidence was given to show that defendant...   

This is possibly the Francis Lennon living in Tamneyvane townland in 1911 (which fits which map link I posted above)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Aghagallon/Tamnyvane/203090
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 March 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
This is my great grandfather, the father of Eliza Jane Walker, who was illegitimate but given his surname.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Aghagallon/Tiscallen/1002661/
He went on to father my grandmother (illegitimate) before finally marrying.  After taking a DNA test I had an extremely close match to his legal child!!
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 March 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
The point is the Cole Lane is likely a place in the townland of Tamneyvane (unless Francis Lennon moved house between 1911 and 1915.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Han12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if you get notifications for this still, but did you ever locate Co Lane? I have found a 1921 census entry for my Great Grandmother and she says she was born there too. I've no idea where it is! (I've been searching for her details for 20 years - just googled Co Lane and got your post). Thanks, and hope you get this!

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Han12
Cole Lane a road is too small to he stated as a birthplace in England, the 1921 states to write County + town or parish if in UK or Country + State or Province if elsewhere. Are you sure yours is in Ireland?

Colane Road is the current road through Tamnyvane, Tiscallen, Aghadrumglasny and Poobles Townlands in the Parish of Aghagallon from the Lurgan Road / Bullock's Bridge, Aghagallen to Drumbane Road, with farm lanes off it.
It is labelled COAL Lane on the 2nd edition 1858 O.S. 6" map and on the 1st edition 1832 map. Then again as such on 1965 1:10,000 map. That has now evolved to Colane Road.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-proni-historical-maps-viewer

Aghadowey & Rosemary Joan you were both correct re. the 1865 birth in 'Cole' Lane. Surprised me to see the road labelled as far back as 1832 & 1858.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Inmate and occupiers are unfortunate terms they used for persons other than father or mother in the 1st decade of civil registration.
Have seen various occurrences and wish they had written brother, nephew, sister-in-law or indeed wife, especially on the deaths.

eg Death 24 Mar 1873 at Monbrief, Shankhill of Richard Wetherall, aged 60, Married (Farmer). Registered Lurgan 8 Apr 1873 by Joseph Wetherall, Occupier, Monbrief.
Can't tell if Joseph was a son, brother or nephew.

Death 21 Sep 1868 at Monbrief of Richard Wetherall, aged 87, Married (Farmer).
Registered Lurgan 30 Sep 1868 by Mary Wetherall, Inmate (Occupier deceased), of Monbrief.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 January 22 09:17 GMT (UK) »

Colane Road is the current road through Tamnyvane, Tiscallen, Aghadrumglasny and Poobles Townlands in the Parish of Aghagallon from the Lurgan Road / Bullock's Bridge, Aghagallen to Drumbane Road, with farm lanes off it.

Well done, Jon  8)

Here's the OpenStreetMap link-
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4490195#map=14/54.4981/-6.2588

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 February 22 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for this input.  I have marked Cole Lane on my Ordnance Survey map.  My grandmother, daughter of Isaac Walker and Sarah McConnell was born in Tiscallen.  I have a strong dna connection with Isaac Walker so this Eliza Jane Walker would have been my great aunt.  Isaac Walker sure shared his genes around Aghagallon.  Rosemary Joan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)