Author Topic: Sandys family, Miserden  (Read 8729 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Sandys family, Miserden
« on: Wednesday 14 March 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
My sister reports going for a long walk in Miserden Park while visiting a friend in Gloucester.
She wasn't aware that the estate belonged to our Sandys ancestors for a couple of centuries
-- I read somewhere that Sir Edwin Bayntun-Sandys spent 20 years in prison for debt, which may explain why we inherited nothing!

I feel sure there are Sandys memorials in the church there, but was a bit surprised to find nothing at Findagrave, Billion Graves, or the Gravestone Photos web site.

Does anyone live close enough to pop in (assuming the church is not locked) and photograph any Sandys monuments or memorial plaques for me?  Or have images been posted somewhere?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sandys family, Miserden
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Miserden church is a lovely church in a beautiful setting.I know it well because we walked the churchyard many times finding ancestors of my late husband.The church records are good and more or less complete.Years ago my late husband was given permission to photograph the records which he put on a disc and either gave to the church or to the record office.The churchyard map from what I can remember is good....perhaps get in touch with the church warden or the vicar direct.
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 18 14:49 GMT (UK) »
If you Google:

Sandys Miserden Memorials Church  (various websites inc)

Under the Heading:

Church of St Andrew, Miserden, Gloucestershire  (***)

it does mention

....  fine set of monuments, central chest with effigies in Derbyshire alabaster, possibly carved by Edward Marshall, depict

Sir William Sandys of Misarden Park, died 1640, and wife Margaret Calpeper, died 1644

also

.....  wall monuments in chapel include one with a relief of weeping angel inscribed to Reverend Sir Edwin Winsor Bantam Sandys   - died 1838

etc

**** also underneath the heading,

Tewkesbury Abbey - Church Monuments Society

http://www.churchmonumentssociety.org/Gloucester.html

you will see a photograph the 1838 memorial to Sir Edwin Windsor Haynten SANDYS (under Miserden)  + other family memorials.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Capetown.

Any more variants on the name Bayntun??
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Back to Google again: i.e. 

Sir William BAYNTUN Sandys BART 1838

There is an article on Google Books

Edwin Windsor, Rector of Winstone, Glos, born 31 October 1801 - knighted Windsor 10 April 1825

married etc etc

He assumed the surname of BAYNTUN in compliance with the Will of William BAYNTUN Esq of Gray's Inn

Edwin was the eldest son of Miles SANDYS esq of West Lavington. Devon

etc etc

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Checking with the National Archives

Google: A2a

and search for William BAYNTUN etc

The Will of William BAYNTUN - of Grays Inn 1785

etc  : Which is on Ancestry (Canterbury Wills) - and having a quick read, mentions Miserden Park and Windsor SANDYS etc etc

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
If you look at British History of Line for Winstone -

Sir Edwin WINDSOR BAYNTUN SANDYS - son of the Lord of the Manor was appointed Rector, but in 1831-2 and 1836  the fruits of his living were sequestered because of his indebtness.

---

Don't subscribe to :  British Newspapers on line,  (can see brief descriptions) but lots of articles about this above Gentleman - who obviously led and 'interesting' life.

Bell's Weekly Messenger - 4 August 1822

The King o Sir Edwin Bayntun Sandy BART.  This was indictment against the defendent for fradulently obtaining from one Frederick Ferdinand Armstead STEELE, attorney at law,  a bill of exchange for 50/- under the false pretence of getting it discounted.]

(Probate on Ancestry: 27 September 1876, Sir Frederick Ferdinand Armstead; Bart, STEELE)

---

London Courier & Evening Gazette -
Monday 20 August 1832

To be sold, pursuant to Decree of the High Court of Chancery made in the cause of DUFFIELD v SANDY

Wednesday 10 October 1832, at Twelve o'clock - the very valuable Freehold Estate of Sir Edwin Bayntun Sandy's Bart - situate, Miserden, Brimpsfield, Cranham.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Capetown.  I must follow up some of those references.

There may be confusion between father and son.  Edwin Windsor Bayntun-Sandys (1801-1838) was knighted, and would presumably have become the second baronet had he not predeceased his father, Edwin Bayntun-Sandys (1774-1848) who was thus the last baronet as well as the first. 
The only other son had died in infancy.

It's not recorded how much the baronetcy had cost; it sounds as though that was the cause of the debts.  He had inherited both Miserden Park and Chadlington Hall near Chipping Norton, the rents from either of which should have been enough to live on.

Offline Snowballz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 April 21 01:46 BST (UK) »
Wee Hugh, I know your post is over three years old, but I just stumbled across it while googling the Sandy's family.  I am going through Parish registers for Miserden and the name Bayntun Sundys/Sandys comes up a lot.  I found a burial entry for a Sarah Harriet, aged 14.  She apparently died in Montreal, France (yes, it's a place in the Occitanie area of southern France) on 6 June 1832 and on 3 November 1832 was "buried in the family vault".  Maybe this might explain why there are no headstones in the cemetery?
Also there is an entry for Dame Mary Ann Turner Sandys, buried 18 Cambridge St, (I can't read the word, but it starts with P) and then looks like London S.W., 16 January 1879.
There are quite a few members of this family in the Parish register, including Sir Edwin Winston, buried of Winstone, buried 30 Dec 1838, and the link is here.  I realise you might have seen his burial, but thought all the other entries and reference to the vault might interest you.
https://www.ancestry.com.au/imageviewer/collections/5158/images/41511_633870_3975-00013?treeid=116740530&personid=102263396773&hintid=1032729959879&usePUB=true&_phsrc=sSk33&_phstart=default&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.120344462.76233164.1617282424-1822737456.1613624189&pId=2386738