Author Topic: Leticia Hamilton [centre] & her sisters from County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.  (Read 4094 times)

Offline bigbazza

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leticia Hamilton [centre] & her sisters from County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.
« Reply #27 on: Friday 16 March 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for all your sterling work, its very much appreciated.  You have found the Hamilton's in the censuses in Tirmacspird, Lack, Co. Fermanagh which is where my grandfather and his ancestors came from.
They say they had 3 children, all of whom were alive in 1911.  Latitia=Leticia, Mary Jane=Minnie and Elizabeth=Lily.
It looks like Minnie married Matthew Robb and Lily married John Noble.  In fact I found the civil marriage for Lily and John yesterday on Find my Past and it states they married at Colaghty Church, Lack which is where most of my grandfather's relatives were baptized, married and buried!  Also, Lily's residence was the same as that on the censuses.

The photo may be deceptive. It looks to me like it was posed in a studio. Could they have been encouraged into a certain look, hairstyle and dress by the photographer and that the photo was in fact taken in the 1910's?  If the ages in the censuses are correct then Leticia in the middle is the eldest sister and I always did think she looked a bit sultry!

My second cousin Caroline is not online and I correspond by telephone and letter.  I can only reiterate her words when she told me she had seen the photo.  "These are the Hamilton girls and that's my grandmother in the middle. I don't know the names of the other sisters but they married men named Noble and Robb....". 

My grandfather's sister Jane, who was widowed in 1921, went on to marry William Martin, the brother of James Martin who married Leticia Hamilton. So it is most likely that she sent the photo to my grandfather in England as I know they corresponded.
All the best and thanks once again to everyone for your help,
Baz.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leticia Hamilton [centre] & her sisters from County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 March 18 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to burst your bubble Baz but I don't think this is a 1910 image...if you google 1910 images, you will see the Edwardian era clothing and hairstyles are very different from the girls in your photo. Can you post the back if you have it please, is it a postcard.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 16 March 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
This is likely Letitia's birth (1889)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1889/02485/1922173.pdf

Mary Jane was born 1892-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1892/02336/1873974.pdf

Elizabeth born 1895 (link to registration posted earlier).

I can't see any way the photo could be these three sisters.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 March 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
The photograph is no earlier than the 1920s. at a push. I've dated it as mid-30s and Carol has dated it 30s-40s.

We believe the girl in the middle is possibly your cousin's mother rather than grandmother. Did your cousin have any aunts?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bigbazza

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 16 March 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Definitely not my cousins mother as she sent me two pictures of her at the time of her marriage in about 1945.  Nothing like the girl in the middle of the picture.  I dont know if my cousin had any aunts and I haven't been able to contact her this week .
The back of the photo is a blank postcard.  Down the middle is an elongated wreath with the word JEROME in descending letters. There is a crown at the top of the wreath.  I will scan it at the w/e and post it on here if you think it will serve a purpose.
I've got child minding duties this afternoon and evening so I won't be able to get back on this until the w/e.
Cheers, Baz.

Offline bigbazza

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 March 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I thought you'd like to know that I googled "Jerome Studio's" to check on their history.  It turns out that they were formed in an amalgamation between Colonel Bertram Gale's photographic studio's and Albert H. Garrett's company who fitted out the new photographic studio's under the name Jerome Limited in 1928.  Therefore, my photo of the three girls couldn't have been produced before then, so I concede!
I still haven't been able to make contact with Caroline so I can't tell you what her reaction will be when I give her the news that it isn't her grandmother in the picture, after all.

Keep smiling :)
Baz. 

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Baz...Thanks for the update...it is very difficult when you have been told information about a photo that later is proved incorrect and this is very common in family history and is something that most of us can relate to that too  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
If it makes you feel any better my own mother once identified me in a photo as small child in Easter outfit sitting on chair that had been my father's at that age in front of my grandmother's porch.

A few years later my dad's cousin asked why I had a picture of her daughter (she also had the complete set of pictures taken that day as well as the negatives from her camera) :o I used to get her daughter's hand-me-downs and apparently Easter picture at my grandmother's was a family tradition  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Think we've all have mixups. I had one sent to me that was supposed to be an 1860s photo of 3xgrt grandmother. I was a bit cautious about it as it was in such good condition. I showed it to Prue who confirmed that the clothing and pose was 1860s but probably a later reprint. I was doubtful about it as the person who sent it me had no further info about where it had come from, etc.

Then I was sent a photo of the lady's granddaughter - the features and hands were identical. I iwas then able to identify it  to be a photo taken by the granddaughter's daughter who was a trained photographer and had set it up as a test piece!

Now we need to find out who the thee girls were.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***