Author Topic: The victim of an Acid attack in early Victorian Carlisle. Prostitute?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The victim of an Acid attack in early Victorian Carlisle. Prostitute?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:11 GMT (UK) »
lanercost - Thank you. Really great to see that map. Somehow it adds a little extra depth to this tale to actually see the exact location of Stubbs buildings on an old map. I shall be visiting this specific area (I guess Stubbs Buildings will be long gone now) when I visit Carlisle.

You can park your car on the spot where it happened!

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 March 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike. I shall make a point of doing exactly that I think.

Gan Yam - The book arrived. Yes, it seams steamy  ;D but also, at first glance, very well researched with lots of historical fact underpinning the fiction in a clever way. Really pleased I got it and looking forward to reading it. I have only just started. In and of itself it seems like a good book but given it is based in fact and about the historical city of my ancestors even better. It certainly fires the imagination when wondering about Eleanor's life there as a prostitute and not just the salacious bits. Probably more so the harshness of life and prevailing conditions and attitudes. Wonderful. Thanks again Gan Yam.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 March 18 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Other variations on Eleanor: - Nell, Nellie, Nelly, Ellie, Helena, Elinor, Lena, Nora (Eleanora).

Have you looked for her in workhouses, hospitals, prisons, police stations or asylums in a later census? Unfortunately some listed inmates by initials. Others had their names but lacked other details, depending on what the person in charge knew about each inmate and how able or willing each person was to provide correct information. Many prostitutes spent time in such institutions. Even if you don't find her in 1851 try a later census in case she re-emerged. Vary your search terms. Try a search with: 1st name + variations, approximate YOB, no surname; add occupation or keyword prostitute, if the search engine allows, and geographical area. Experiment, leaving out/adding pieces of information or changing them. Have you searched for her under surname with no 1st name?
Census enumerators in some places seemed to know all brothels in their area and the women working in them. Others either didn't, or the women hid behind occupations like dressmaker or milliner. To be fair, some probably were genuine dressmakers etc who'd fallen on hard times.
Eleanor may have been living with a man and taken his surname. Hence no marriage.

If she continued her occupation and been arrested, she may have been mentioned again in newspapers.
The woman with whom Eleanor was staying said in her evidence that Eleanor now had her own house. Might that mean she'd become a brothel-keeper herself? She was a bit young, but if the attack had caused permanent damage, it would have been a sensible career move.
Did she have any children?

Cowban

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maiden Stone. A few things for me to try there. I shall enjoy or, if unsuccessful, endure  ;D doing so.

Do you think I am stretching credulity to think Helen Ronson, Garnet's sister, may be one and the same as Eleanor?

Are prostitutes in those times, routinely, referred to as such in official records such as censuses?

I am unaware of any children. In fact, all I have is the baptism of Helen and then the 1837 newspaper report (Eleanor) followed by Eleanor and Garnet listed together in the 1841 census. I have lots of info on Garnet, his siblings and many subsequent offspring but neither Helen nor Eleanor appear.

Right time for more search experimentation..........
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.