Author Topic: A shorthand puzzle  (Read 5265 times)

Offline edcbabc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A shorthand puzzle
« on: Wednesday 14 March 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I have asked around, but no one yet has been able to transcribe the attached shorthand document, or even to say in what shorthand system it was written, I think about the 1890s. Can any shorthand experts on this forum help?

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A shorthand puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Quite a few shorthands were based on Pitman's and I'd say this is one such.
But don't know which.
At first I thought it was Summerhayes which I learnt many years ago, but the strokes on top of some words is not a part of Summerhayes.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Some strokes look like "New Era" in a sloppy sort of way but I can't make out any definite words.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »
It seems to be written right to left, in case that helps identify it.

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
It seems to be written right to left, in case that helps identify it.

I think the opposite :)  Is any shorthand written right to left?  There seem to be indentations on the left side as if starting a new paragraph.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
As it's in pdf format I can't do anything with it on the machine I'm using so I'll have to have a closer look at it when I get home.  The image is very small and I can't enlarge it until later.  But from a casual glance it looks like Pitman to me.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Certainly looks like Pitman but I haven't a clue what it says...  as Pitman shorthand is phonetic, you need to have some kind of context to the piece, or a few clues, if you haven't written it yourself.  I've posted it below for others to look at.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering - as we have no-one so far able to even make a start on deciphering this - whether there is any context behind this document.  For example, do you know who wrote it, or what the background to it is?   It could be an ordinary, uninteresting note of office procedures, or it could be a story of a passionate love affair.  But shorthand being as it is, we need some kind of context to know what we are aiming for.  I won't bore you with the intricacies of shorthand, but basically each outline can give us a string of consonants, and although some vowels are shown, these are few and far between.  So, to explain a bit further, I see an outline with shows CLG which is the outline I know as colleague, but of course it might be college, collage, etc.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 March 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
It does resemblePitman New Era, but if you look at it upside down it seems to me the outlines flow better.  I can see quite a clear outline for 'history' and it seems more usual to underline the odd letter or number rather than drawing a horizontal line above them.
Is it on the back of a photo or are there any clues as to its approximate age or context?
P.s. sorry just read OP again 1890s in which case it's an earlier version than New Era. Still think it's worth looking at upside down though  ;)
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras