Author Topic: A shorthand puzzle  (Read 5273 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A shorthand puzzle
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Spoiler alert - for those readers who are trying to read xinia's example of New Era!  I'm stuck with one outline which appears twice towards the end - any suggestions?  Perhaps an unfamiliar short form?

Every shorthand learner needs to have their own shorthand dictionary but this is not always possible either through unavailability or cost.  The only downloadable dictionary available on the internet is the 1913 centenary version from the Internet Archive.  You cannot use this if you are learning New Era as many of the outlines are different between the two versions.  I have now produced a dictionary update illustrating all the outlines that are different (just over three thousand out of sixty thousand total) which will enable you to make use of the centenary dictionary for your new era studies.  You need to download both the centenary dictionary ? (or acquire a copy of the original book) and my update ? and use them in combination.  Further details and the download links are on my main website.

More please, xinia, this has been good exercise for my sluggish brain cells. ;D

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I learnt and taught shorthand 30-35 years ago (Pitman 2000) .... and this all looks "very similar", but, as others have said, there are many variations and people will develop their own bits and bobs over time depending on things they usually write.

Also, let's not forget, they spoke differently back then.

If it were, say, a business letter of the 1980s, we'd expect to be looking for "Dear Sirs, Thank you for your letter of ....." and similar, whereas 100 years ago they really did go "all round Will's aunts" to speak in an over-gushing and flowery manner :)

When trying to unravel the shorthand of others you rely a lot on "guesswork" to gather the gist and then back fill and rework what you first saw/thought... so without context etc it's nigh on impossible unless somebody looking happens to be au fait with that subject/industry/location and spot for themselves a "tasty clue" :)
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:20 GMT (UK) »

Brilliant Greensleeves, I think it is 'needs to have "own" shorthand dictionary etc.'

Thanks Lizzie - I had forgotten that shortform!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »

More please, xinia, this has been good exercise for my sluggish brain cells. ;D

Brilliant, I was very close :)   we should have more exercises like these ... ha ha..

ANYHOW   it is all on the NET -- I just downloaded that piece..   ~Googled~ 

My wonderful marvellous sister - sadly no longer here, had an IT School and taught Pitmans .. I think the place was taken over ... by someone .. so there are classes still out there. 
Not as usefull now though, as has been said, just as easy to use a 'dictaphone' or spell check..
I worked for the Police for a while as a Secretary, using a Dictaphone ... some of the tapes were scary..   eek  too descriptive.

all a very long time ago..:) 
but it does make you feel alive again these memories.

xin

ps ............  eeee my grammar gets worse... ha ha ha ...

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
lets start a new  Post

What I was in my Day - edited by xin :) 

xin ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
How about a new thread in TOT called 'The Shorthand Writers' Retreat'.   ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:31 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

would it be a little place :)

xin

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm a late comer to the confession booth. When the piece was first posted I downloaded and swivelled the image about a bit but there's a drawback in that there are scarcely any light and heavy strokes.  I was a shorthand typist to an engineering buyer for ten years in the 1950s-1960s  I even typed up other people's shorthand notes. As others have said, I too developed my own style when I had occasion for its use again in the 1980s.

It's so frustrating not being able to assist.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
It seems Tillypeg has solved the puzzle of why many of us couldn't read the shorthand xinia posted.  It's because it was Pitmans New Era.  Thank goodness, I though my brain had totally given up.