Author Topic: Ship's name and port  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ship's name and port
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 18 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Ecuador, as a country, seems unlikely to be a Port of Registry. I wonder if it is a mis-spelling of Exeter, bearing in mind that crew lists were written up all over the world, perhaps by people unfamiliar with the names of some of the smaller ports in other countries.

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 March 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Exeter was one of my likely candidates as this seaman was previously with the 'Gertrude' registered in Exeter - the handwriting does seem to contain a letter 'x' in the middle but seemed too long and elaborate to be a six letter word!

I could look for ships beginning 'C' registered in Exeter and see what can be found.
David

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 March 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
When enlarged it looks like Excader and, when spoken (with a soft c), it sounds very like a West Country person might pronounce Exeter

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 March 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

There's a very clearly written Exeter on the preceding page as this is the half-yearly agreement for 'Gertrude' registered in Exeter. So many hands contribute to this one document it's hard to find a sample for comparison though the line above 'Condor' is written by the same person.

The seaman in question was of German origin but know to speak English and probably some Welsh - it's probable he spoke with a Devonian burr as his wife was from Tiverton!
David

PS. I've had enough trouble with his town of origin as this is recorded either as Benz, Beng or Binz Germany which covers a whole host of possibilities. 

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 March 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Good work everybody!

With "Exeter" in my head, I think I can see Exader in the snippet... It looks more like an open "a" than a "c". Fits with Gadget's West Country-accent comment, too!  :)

Doesn't help with the ship's name, though, I'm afraid...

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Having trawled (pun intended) through the ship's lists the only one I can come up with is
Carmel of Exeter
any chance?
Or am I making the handwriting fit the facts as Carmel was schooner of similar weight to the Gertrude (also registered in Exeter) to which this half-yearly agreement relates.
David

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Could it be a ship called the 'Commodore' with unique  ;D phonetic spelling as in 'Exeter'  ???
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There's a COMMERCE of Exeter but no Comodor - see where you are coming from with that!
David

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I found this
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsnum/20945

COMMODORE   Exeter, 1836, Sail    Appropriation Books, RSS   
Exeter    MNL, 1857
Exeter, Sail, 89 tons    MNL, 1860   
[No port shown], Casualty: foundered, 5/11/1861    RCUS, 1874, pp 648-649, row 1841   

What year is your crew's list?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON