Author Topic: Mary Pugsley  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Pugsley
« on: Wednesday 14 March 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Morning all :) Searching for any record information on a Mary Pugsley she married a Richard Button Labourer on the 15/1/1769 at Great Torrington have looked at all their online records. :-[
Janet 8)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Pugsley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a Mary Pugsley born Great Torrington but there is one born 6 miles away in Bideford

Mary Pugsley 1745 Bideford parents Henry and Sarah

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Morning emeltom, thank you for your information and help. :)

Janet :-[

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 18 15:10 GMT (UK) »
There are several options for your Mary, but I would suggest that she is the one baptised at Bishops Tawton 6 Mar 1742 to parents William & Hannah.
A William PUGSLEY was buried at Great Torrington 23 July 1767 and a Hannah PUGSLEY was buried there 25 Jan 1771.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 March 18 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Morning DOB7 thank you so much for your help, I searched the web yesterday and their is a big family of them that lived in Devonshire and some moved to the USA. :)

Janet :-[

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Morning DOB7 thank you so much for your help, I searched the web yesterday and their is a big family of them that lived in Devonshire and some moved to the USA. :)

"Devon", please. Only people who are not from Devon call it "Devonshire", though the "Devonshire Institute" mentioned in another suggests that there may be exceptions.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Athel_cb - I would suggest you tell that to the 12th Duke of Devonshire, the makers of Devonshire clotted cream, the Devonshire & Dorset Regiment, and The Devonshire Association - etc. etc. Devonshire was the former common and official name of Devon and Jan's usage of it is not incorrect.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:51 GMT (UK) »
The Duke of Devonshire is a poor example, because he's based in Derbyshire, and has little connection  with Devon. All the Dukes from the first until the present one have been based in Derbyshire. Devonshire cream has been called that for commercial reasons, and it's not a person.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 March 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello all thanks for your help regarding Mary Pugsley not sure about how you say Devon or Devonshire I am from Australia and still learning how to pronounce England names. :)

Janet :)