Author Topic: Consent of Parents  (Read 2183 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Consent of Parents
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
From 1754 the marriage registers give the names and parishes of the parties, the date and place of marriage, whether by banns or licence, whether with consent of parents or guardians, and the name of the officiating minister. Also given are the names of the witnesses and signatures or marks of the spouses.
Stan

I was quoting from http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10575/Banns-and-marriages-1754-1812

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline blackpool

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stan - it still doesn't explain why that statement would be needed though.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
It could be that the Diocese of St Asaph included it - see my previous post of 14.49.

It was definitely there!

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:28 GMT (UK) »

The printed booklets that the marriage entries are written in all have 'With consent of......'  printed in them from 1813* as far as the Chirk booklets are concerned.  They were left blank in most cases.

This would of course have changed to the statutory forms from Sept q 1837.

*not in the 1812 ones.

Eg shown below.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Reading again through the query that I referred to earlier

https://genealogy.stackexchange.com/questions/9931/why-would-consent-of-parents-be-needed-for-1815-marriage-between-26-and-33-year

It could be as a courtesy - the parents were present and consented.

Gadget

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 March 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Vicars in those days were accepted at the tables of the rich and famous and they wouldn't want any scandal to happen in their church.   I think the church was covering itself against any claims of fraud by an irate parent who might happen to be a "person of substance", thus, regardlesa of the ages of the bride and groom, we see the phrase "with consent of ... ".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_Act_1753

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 March 18 01:22 GMT (UK) »
I have "with consent of parents" for marriages of 2 sisters who were both over 21 when each was married in 1816 and 1820. Bridegrooms were 22 and 26. Both parents of the girls were dead when the elder daughter was still in her teens. Father & mother of both grooms were alive when their sons married. On looking at images of the marriage register I saw that all weddings on those pages had "with consent of parents".
Cowban

Offline blackpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 March 18 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the reassuring answers. I have the Chirk transcripts and it's clear that only a few entries have the "with consent of parents" phrase included, so it's not the case that it was a standard phrase that they used, which presumably suggests they were under age, or why else was it included? However as I said originally, neither of the couple seem to have been underage, if we look at their ages on various censuses, but, as their names are Thomas Jones and Margaret Jones - in Wales! - , I have no other way of finding them if I can't definitely pin down a birth year.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 March 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Jones and Margaret Jones - in Wales! - ,
I know the feeling:- James Wilson and Ann(e) Weir - in Scotland!
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.