Author Topic: St George's Church, Edworth  (Read 11129 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
St George's Church, Edworth
« on: Thursday 15 March 18 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Back in 2003 I visited the church, from Scotland, to have my mother's ashes put with her Granparents James Julian KIDMAN.

Doing some family research I discovered James's father George KIDMAN died 29th. August 1882 and is buried in Edworth Churchyard and would like to know if his inscription could be on the reverse of James's headstone.

Any help will be very much appreciated

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St George's Church, Edworth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
You might have already seen this but a newspaper item refers to James being buried in the family grave, so it's a possibility.

Biggleswade Chronicle
09 Apr 1920

Dunton
Death of Mr J. J. Kidman
We regret to record the death of Mr. James Julian Kidman, formerly of Newton Grove Farm, Dunton, which took place at Castle Camps, Suffolk, on Tuesday, at the age of 72 years, and after an illness of about a year's duration. Deceased was born at Millow, Dunton, and resided in the parish for about 70 years, holding the office of Churchwarden, Chairman of the Parish Council, member of the Rural District Council, and Board of Guardians. Of his family, Mr. Hugh Kidman, Rose Villa, Sutton, Mr. P. Kidman, Sunderland, and Mrs. Carter, Eyeworth, remain in this district, and for them and other members of the family, much sympathy is felt. The remains are being brought to Edworth, Beds. To-day (Friday) for interment in the family grave in the Churchyard.

Biggleswade Chronicle
08 Aug 1930

Biggleswade
Death of Mrs Kidman
Her many friends in Biggleswade and district will learn with regret of the death of Mrs. Louise Kidman, who passed away at Collingham, Newark, on Tuesday. The deceased, who had attained the great age of 83 years, was the widow of the late Mr. J. J. Kidman, of Newton, Dunton. Her husband pre-deceased her by ten years. Deep sympathy is expressed with the family of four sons and four daughters in their bereavement. The members of the family are: Mr H. Kidman, of Clapham, Bedford; Mr P. C. Kidman, of Biggleswade; Mr J. Kidman, of Heybridge, Essex; Mr R. Kidman, of Bedford Park, London; Mrs Carter, of Offley, Hitchin; Mrs Thompson, of Sunderland Farm, Biggleswade; Mrs Tice, of Feltham, Middlesex; and Mrs Day, of Collingham, Newark. The funeral will take place at Edworth Church at 2.30 p.m. to-day (Friday).
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 18 08:10 GMT (UK) »
You might have already seen this but a newspaper item refers to James being buried in the family grave, so it's a possibility.

Biggleswade Chronicle
09 Apr 1920

Dunton
Death of Mr J. J. Kidman
We regret to record the death of Mr. James Julian Kidman, formerly of Newton Grove Farm, Dunton, which took place at Castle Camps, Suffolk, on Tuesday, at the age of 72 years, and after an illness of about a year's duration. Deceased was born at Millow, Dunton, and resided in the parish for about 70 years, holding the office of Churchwarden, Chairman of the Parish Council, member of the Rural District Council, and Board of Guardians. Of his family, Mr. Hugh Kidman, Rose Villa, Sutton, Mr. P. Kidman, Sunderland, and Mrs. Carter, Eyeworth, remain in this district, and for them and other members of the family, much sympathy is felt. The remains are being brought to Edworth, Beds. To-day (Friday) for interment in the family grave in the Churchyard.

Biggleswade Chronicle
08 Aug 1930

Biggleswade
Death of Mrs Kidman
Her many friends in Biggleswade and district will learn with regret of the death of Mrs. Louise Kidman, who passed away at Collingham, Newark, on Tuesday. The deceased, who had attained the great age of 83 years, was the widow of the late Mr. J. J. Kidman, of Newton, Dunton. Her husband pre-deceased her by ten years. Deep sympathy is expressed with the family of four sons and four daughters in their bereavement. The members of the family are: Mr H. Kidman, of Clapham, Bedford; Mr P. C. Kidman, of Biggleswade; Mr J. Kidman, of Heybridge, Essex; Mr R. Kidman, of Bedford Park, London; Mrs Carter, of Offley, Hitchin; Mrs Thompson, of Sunderland Farm, Biggleswade; Mrs Tice, of Feltham, Middlesex; and Mrs Day, of Collingham, Newark. The funeral will take place at Edworth Church at 2.30 p.m. to-day (Friday).

Thank you so much for the Biggleswade Chronicle newspaper I hadn't seen them.

I regret not looking on the reverse of the headstone but, it was an emotional time having brought my mother's ashes from Scotland to be with her family.

I would like to think that James Julian KIDMAN's father (George KIDMAN) is on the reverse of the headstone.From another photograph I took that day - there is an inscription - but can't make it out. It's on the left hand corner of photo

Thank you once again.

cupcake

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 18 22:10 GMT (UK) »
The Beds FHS parish CD for Edworth does have the memorial inscriptions for St George, with a bit of luck someone who has access to the CD may see your post and check it for you. I do have a lot of the Beds FHS CDs, but not that one unfortunately.

Depending on how badly you want to see the inscription you could order the CD, it's only £10.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 08:04 GMT (UK) »
The Beds FHS parish CD for Edworth does have the memorial inscriptions for St George, with a bit of luck someone who has access to the CD may see your post and check it for you. I do have a lot of the Beds FHS CDs, but not that one unfortunately.

Depending on how badly you want to see the inscription you could order the CD, it's only £10.

I will wait and see if any one has access to the CD and check it for me. If not, will contact the Beds FHS.
Thank you once again for your time searching for me. Very much appreciated.

cupcake

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
The next Beds FHS meeting is on Friday 20th April which I will be attending... I will look in the Monumental Inscriptions hard copies file for Edworth (recorder 1997) to see if any entries for Kidman family.

If you use FaceBook may I point you to the Beds FHS facebook page where could ask for assistance

Cheers John   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
The next Beds FHS meeting is on Friday 20th April which I will be attending... I will look in the Monumental Inscriptions hard copies file for Edworth (recorder 1997) to see if any entries for Kidman family.

If you use FaceBook may I point you to the Beds FHS facebook page where could ask for assistance

Cheers John   

I went onto the Beds FHS this morning and sent them a message regarding the headstone inscription. Will wait and see if they get back to me. If they don't, I would appreciate if you could look in the Monumental Inscriptions hard copies file for Edworth (recorder 1997) to see if any entries for Kidman family :).

I would be grateful for any information on the Kidmans.

Many thanks.

cupocake

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
As I had nothing better to do today, and that I don't live too far away, I took a drive over to Edworth.

The headstone inscription on the reverse is for George Harold Thompson and his wife Decima Omega Thompson. Decima must surely be the daughter of James and Louisa.

James' father George is there though, along with many other Kidmans.

I took a number of photos, not of every grave (it was pretty cold) but of all the Kidmans I could identify. Some inscriptions I couldn't make out at all.

Looking at the photos when I got home I realised I hadn't done a particularly good job, what with so many being skewed. Sorry about that; I clearly need more practice.

Full set of grave photos, at higher resolution:
https://postimg.org/gallery/1221gpi3e/

PS: Someone clearly visits George and Decima's grave as the flowers are quite fresh. I did have to remove a couple to get a shot of the full inscription but I was respectful (and obviously replaced them).

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 March 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
As I had nothing better to do today, and that I don't live too far away, I took a drive over to Edworth.

The headstone inscription on the reverse is for George Harold Thompson and his wife Decima Omega Thompson. Decima must surely be the daughter of James and Louisa.

James' father George is there though, along with many other Kidmans.

I took a number of photos, not of every grave (it was pretty cold) but of all the Kidmans I could identify. Some inscriptions I couldn't make out at all.

Looking at the photos when I got home I realised I hadn't done a particularly good job, what with so many being skewed. Sorry about that; I clearly need more practice.

Full set of grave photos, at higher resolution:
https://postimg.org/gallery/1221gpi3e/

PS: Someone clearly visits George and Decima's grave as the flowers are quite fresh. I did have to remove a couple to get a shot of the full inscription but I was respectful (and obviously replaced them).

I am extremely grateful to you for going to Edworth churchyard in this extremely cold weather and taking photographs of my ancestors headstones.

I now know George isn't buried there but, Decima Omega  was James Julian & Louisa's daughter born July 3 1892 (rather an unusual name) They had 10 children Decima, being the youngest. As you pointed out, someone clearly visits George and Decima's grave and, the headstone appears to be cleaned too. So, I have ancestors still living :)

From the photograph's George had a son named George. At the moment I don't have any information on James Julian's parents - George KIDMAN other than he died August 1882 and married to Elizabeth. I still have to go through the other photographs to find George KIDMAN's headstone with wife Elizabeth. 

Thank you once again :D.

cupcake