Author Topic: St George's Church, Edworth  (Read 11128 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St George's Church, Edworth
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 March 18 09:05 GMT (UK) »
You both seem to have overlooked my last post, where I referred to Bethia and the newspaper article about her death, and concluded she was the daughter of George Kidman (snr) (1798-1864) and Edith (1801-1878), and thus the sister of George Kidman (jnr) (1828-1882).

I had also previously posted the census references for George Kidman (snr) and Edith, although I didn't name the children but (as you've now seen) the census records show daughter Bethia born c1838.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 March 18 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Beds Archives has various references to the family, including an extract from the will of a George Kidman, of Edworth. The archive record has the will being proved on 27 Dev 1814 but I think it's likely a mistake and actually refers to George's will being proved on 27 Dec 1864.

It names his daughter Bithia.

http://bedsarchivescat.bedford.gov.uk/Details/archive/110344222
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 19 March 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
You both seem to have overlooked my last post, where I referred to Bethia and the newspaper article about her death, and concluded she was the daughter of George Kidman (snr) (1798-1864) and Edith (1801-1878), and thus the sister of George Kidman (jnr) (1828-1882).

I had also previously posted the census references for George Kidman (snr) and Edith, although I didn't name the children but (as you've now seen) the census records show daughter Bethia born c1838.

I certainly have overlooked your last post. I need to absorb more.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 March 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I think you've probably got plenty to gone on for now cupcake but if you need any more help just ask. Hopefully John can lookup the Edworth records for you, which may help answer some of the questions.

I think there's quite of lot of documents about for the Kidmans though, including newspapers, Beds Archives, The National Archives, wills, as well the usual parish registers and BMD certs., so I think the Kidmans could keep you (happily) busy for a while.

Re. Beds parish registers, the best place online is probably FamilySearch. However, I haven't found any online source that has full transcriptions, they often omit accompanying notes, which can be very significant. Other than seeing original records, the Beds FHS transcripts are by far the best option, IMO.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
The University of Florida has online transcripts up to 1812 of the first 44 volumes (93 parishes) as done by Dr. Emmison. Here is volume 02 that includes Edworth, however there are no Kidman entries.   

https://archive.org/stream/bedfordshirepari02bedf#page/n0/mode/2up

Replace the 02 with value 01 - 44 to see the other volumes. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
The University of Florida has online transcripts up to 1812 of the first 44 volumes (93 parishes) as done by Dr. Emmison. Here is volume 02 that includes Edworth, however there are no Kidman entries.   

https://archive.org/stream/bedfordshirepari02bedf#page/n0/mode/2up

Replace the 02 with value 01 - 44 to see the other volumes.

Thank you.

Just the fact theses are KIDMANS - had a brief look and found on E13 a Thos. KIDMAN (Streatly) marriage? 1811 to a Mary SMYTH ( minor) very small print.
One other one C34 Jul 1699  Rob KIDMAN  (Cottager) Joan Salt

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, the page E13 for the 1811 marriage is not listed in the index, so i missed it.
However there's a bonus here as it says that marriage was by Licence and volume 15 has transcript of marriage allegations & licences, and additional info is available......

Marriage licence dated 24 Oct 1811 for Thomas Kidman, farmer of Streatley, of age,  to marry Mary Smyth of Edworth, minor, daughter of Hugh Smyth; surety given by Hugh Smyth, farmer of Edworth.       
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 23 March 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
cuffie81

Have looked at all the photographs you kindly took for me and, can relate to some of them being George KIDMAN( senior's) family. Also, George (snr) parents were  James KIDMAN & Sarah Davies

I wonder where Bethie Donne (Kidman) who died in April 1874 was buried.

cupcake

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 23 March 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi cupcake,

Looking through the various newspaper articles on Bethiah's death, at least one notes that she was interred at Bedford Cemetery.

Bedfordshire Mercury
11 Apr 1874
A Woman Found Drowned
Mysterious Death

... Deceased was interred in the Bedford Cemetery on Friday...

I couldn't find any burial record online nor in the Beds FHS surname index (but the Beds FHS transcripts don't tend to go up to this date). JohnP may know whether any of the Beds Cemetery records or transcripts of this period are available online.