Author Topic: St Pancras Workhouse/Infirmary help please  (Read 2672 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
St Pancras Workhouse/Infirmary help please
« on: Thursday 15 March 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I have just discovered a record of my grandmother, Ellen Burdon, in the St Pancras Workhouse Admission and Discharge records on Ancestry.

I would welcome some help with these, please.

She was admitted 25th May 1927 by someone called Vassie and placed in Ward 7. Most of the folk he admitted were in this ward - both men and women. Can anyone tell me if this was a ward in the workhouse itself or in the attached Infirmary, and is there any significance to the fact that most of Vassie's admittances were in this ward??

In the remarks column are the numbers 61273. What do these refer to - they don't appear against every name in the book.

She was discharged on 21 June 1927 and against this entry are the initials O.R. Am I right in thinking that means 'own request'?

Lastly, across the next admission and discharge columns is scrawled what looks like 'see nrk'. Could anyone hazard a guess as to what this might mean?

Thanks for any help  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Pancras Workhouse/Infirmary help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Taking a guess at See NrK as North Kensington. Think the Kensington PLU included Paddington which would be adjacent to St Pancras  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
My g.g.uncle who was a butcher, frequently admitted himself to Manchester Workhouse and then discharged himself.  His admissions seem to coincide with the death of his second wife, almost as if he couldn't cope at home.  In fact after the death of his first wife he was admitted to an asylum for 6 months.  In 1892 after the death of his 2nd wife he admitted himself 3 times to the workhouse, staying for 2 weeks, then another 2 weeks and finally for 3 weeks over the Christmas period - which would have been a busy time for him as a butcher.  Eventually in 1901 he was admitted for the last time to an asylum where he died.  Whether he had had episodes of his illness after the deaths of his wives I don't know (it was syphilis related but maybe stress exacerbated it). 

By the way his 3rd wife outlived him by 40 years.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Taking a guess at See NrK as North Kensington. Think the Kensington PLU included Paddington which would be adjacent to St Pancras  :-\

That’s an interesting thought! Thanks very much  :) I’ll try to follow that up.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 18 23:56 GMT (UK) »
She was admitted 25th May 1927 by someone called Vassie and placed in Ward 7. Most of the folk he admitted were in this ward - both men and women. Can anyone tell me if this was a ward in the workhouse itself or in the attached Infirmary, and is there any significance to the fact that most of Vassie's admittances were in this ward??
It was a numbered ward in the workhouse itself – the North and South Infirmaries have separate registers.

The Pancras poor law union, like all the big London unions, was divided up into numbered districts, and William Charles Vassie was the relieving officer for one of them (can’t remember which, sorry). It’s possible that admissions from a particular district initially went into particular wards (male or female).

In the remarks column are the numbers 61273. What do these refer to - they don't appear against every name in the book.
They're reference numbers for the case-notes for those individuals (the files rarely survive, unfortunately).

She was discharged on 21 June 1927 and against this entry are the initials O.R. Am I right in thinking that means 'own request'?
Yes.

Lastly, across the next admission and discharge columns is scrawled what looks like 'see nrk'. Could anyone hazard a guess as to what this might mean?
Still puzzling over this. But it’s most likely to relate to another register or file of the Pancras union, rather than to another poor law union. She won't have been removed, as she was discharged at own request.

There are other records for St Pancras that might provide more information, but few are online for this late date, and those that are are browsable only, not searchable.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 March 18 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Whereabouts on Euston Road was the Durham Hotel which is mentioned in the record?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 March 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Bookbox, very many thanks indeed for your comprehensive reply. I'm very grateful.

Gadget, I've been searching but haven't yet located the 'Durham Hotel'.

Thanks again both for your help and interest. The discovery of Ellen in London in 1927 opened the door to finding a subsequent marriage and the birth of two children.  I'm unclear as to whether my mother, who had been born earlier to Ellen in York in 1923, knew anything of this. After she was born Ellen had taken her home to County Durham where she had left her to be brought up by relations. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 March 18 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I had a brief search yesterday but couldn't find it. I was thinking that it would probably be near Kings Cross Station but Euston Road is pretty long - I've walked the whole length a few times in my youth to save the tube fare   :)

I'll do a skim of newspaper adverts.

Added - nearest directory was a 1934 PO  - I looked both sides but nothing listed  :(

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 March 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Added - nearest directory was a 1934 PO  - I looked both sides but nothing listed  :(

Thanks ever so much for looking. I've also drawn a blank.