Author Topic: John McPhee did he survive WW1  (Read 852 times)

Offline crayspond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McPhee did he survive WW1
« on: Thursday 15 March 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking into my GGrandmother Catherine McPhee - Her son, My grandfather Thomas Beveridge was born to a previous liaison who i know much about.

She married  John McPhee 30/12/1893 in Bridgeton Glasgow. She was 29 he was 28. Thomas was brought up with the family and is found on the 1901 census with them at 120 South Wellington St Hutchensontown Glasgow.
John 38
Catherine 36
Thomas 16
John 7
Patrick 4
Catherine 2
Malcolm 1

Jump to the 1911 census at 194 Main St Tradeston Glasgow and only Catherine 45 widow, Malcolm son 11, Catherine daughter 12 are there.
I have used a lot of credits on Scotlands People Site trying to find out what became of them (McPhee is a horrible name to search!).
Sadly, i found Patrick and Malcolm were both killed in WW1 one day apart. 2nd and 3rd September 1918. I fear that John may have went the same way but would love to be proven wrong.  I cannot afford to spend so many credits on SP but would ask if anyone can look further for me it would be a great help.
I know what happened to Thomas Beveridge as he is my direct link.
Thanks for reading this.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McPhee did he survive WW1
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
If he died in WWI then this is the site to search- some entries show parents or spouse or other personal details but many entries have minimal identifying information.
https://www.cwgc.org/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Where is John in 1911?

A John McPhee aged 18 left Glasgow for New York on 29.4.1911 - occ was "bender".  No other info shown

SP are showing a death in 1916 for a John McPhee aged 24 - shown as "Service Returns".  Have you already ruled it out?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline crayspond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Thanks for replying

Aghadowey - Yes it is a great site and where i got the information about Patrick and Malcolm. Also very sad as i was not expecting to see both of them. There are a few John McPhee's there in Glasgow but not with the correct parents. One that only says J McPhee Glasgow but no parents. I think that is the one that CaroleW mentions. I'm not sure but i imagine the SP Service Returns and the CWGC would come from the same source.
I would love to think that he went on the ship to New York. I did try to look for marriages and deaths on SP for John and sister Catherine but it's like a needle in a haystack. Pity there wasn't a means to enter the parents names it would make life simpler!

Offline crayspond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 March 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to a bit of sleuth work from Alan on the Talkingscot.com site he came up with

Private McFEE, JAMES
Service Number 3/6626
Died 04/04/1917
Aged 24
10th Bn.
Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
Son of Catherine McFee, of 220, Thistle St., South Side, Glasgow.

Sadly what i thought had happened to John I just had a detailed look at Alan's James McPhee and i have to conclude that he is in fact John. On the first Grave reg report it has him as J. McPhee then on the 2nd report it's typed as James McPhee mother Catherine McPhee of 220 Thistle St. Too much of a coincidence.