Author Topic: Looking for birth or baptismal record-Herlihy surname  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Jan Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for birth or baptismal record-Herlihy surname
« on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I am in the process of gathering information to apply for Irish citizenship through my grandmother. She was born in Ireland, I believe in the City of Cork, SS Peter and Paul's Parish.

I have been able to track down her parents' marriage registration, her sister's birth registration, the ship manifest that documents her father's passage to Boston, the ship manifest that documents her passage to Boston as a toddler with her mother and sister. I also have documentation of my grandmother's marriage to my grandfather (in Lowell, Massachusetts) and confirmation of her Irish birth on U.S. Census records.

What I have not been able to find is registration of her birth in Ireland! I've tried every name variation I can think of but haven't been successful with the Irish Genealogy database for civil registrations! Is it possible the birth wasn't registered?

The reference librarian at the Cork County Library suggested I contact the parish to inquire about a search of church baptismal records. Is that possible and if so, as I'm in the U.S., would I need to have this search done through a Cork-based genealogist or researcher?

All ideas, suggestions, are welcome.
Herlihy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth or baptismal record-Herlihy surname
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you  searched Irish Genealogy database for Church Record??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jan Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes but the online records for that parish apparently only go to 1880. My grandmother was born in 1891 or 92 depending on the source.
Herlihy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Your SUMMARY OF SKILLS are writing; research; curriculum development; public speaking; nonprofit budget development; supervisory and counseling skills; workshop facilitation; strategic planning; grant writing; community organizing Specialties: articles....

So how about posting actual information on who you are looking for??

People can then use strategic planning in their searches..   ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I am in the process of gathering information to apply for Irish citizenship through my grandmother. She was born in Ireland, I believe in the City of Cork, SS Peter and Paul's Parish.

I have been able to track down her parents' marriage registration, her sister's birth registration, the ship manifest that documents her father's passage to Boston, the ship manifest that documents her passage to Boston as a toddler with her mother and sister. I also have documentation of my grandmother's marriage to my grandfather (in Lowell, Massachusetts) and confirmation of her Irish birth on U.S. Census records.

What I have not been able to find is registration of her birth in Ireland! I've tried every name variation I can think of but haven't been successful with the Irish Genealogy database for civil registrations! Is it possible the birth wasn't registered?

The reference librarian at the Cork County Library suggested I contact the parish to inquire about a search of church baptismal records. Is that possible and if so, as I'm in the U.S., would I need to have this search done through a Cork-based genealogist or researcher?

All ideas, suggestions, are welcome.

Yes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried searching for a birth with first name as 'unknown'? Do you have an exact date of birth? If you post the details you already have on the family we might be able to help further.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 March 18 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,
What we really need is your Grandmothers name.
Up to now I found 285 Helihy people from Cork on ship records.
There are 82 Herlihy's born in Cork 1891 to 1892.
So a name would be a big help.
Maggsie

Offline Jan Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks and apologies. I have twice tried to post details and must doing something wrong as my response doesn't seem to be showing-up. My bad. Here's another attempt.

My great grandparents were Michael Herlihy and Kate McMahon (McMahon). They were married in the Church of SS. Peter and Paul in Cork in 1889.

My great grandmother was named Anna Catherine Herlihy. She was born in either 1891 or 1892 depending on the source.  I know she emigrated with her mother and sister, Ellen (b. 1890) to the U.S. in 1893. A 1920 US Census confirms the 1893 date on the Caledonia passenger list.

I have been able to locate Ellen Herlihy's  birth registration listed as District 5 Centre in the Union of Cork, which is attached.

Again, many thanks for the replies thus far.
Herlihy

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 March 18 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome,

Here is your previous post.

Threads merged.

I will ask a moderator to combine your two threads.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk