Author Topic: Mary ?, b.c. 1830-31 (another conundrum in the Hart family)  (Read 1238 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: Mary ?, b.c. 1830-31 (another conundrum in the Hart family)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 March 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Ah - thanks for that extra detail. How annoying!  :-\

I'll come back to it with fresh eyes tomorrow and see if anything else occurs to me. Else will just have to give it up as a needle in the haystack job (an Emily born in London over a possible span of at least two years!).

Thanks for your assistance.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 March 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Another small detail, but Mary is named as Mary Ann in Eli’s bank account record with Freedman’s Bank (dated 17 Sep 1873).  The family’s address at the time was 622 New York Ave (this is a Washington, DC address I think?).

It names his wife as Mary Ann Hart who “can draw” (from the bank account, presumably, rather than artistically!).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 March 18 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that! Funnily enough a relative supplied similar information in an email overnight, and I was able to locate the actual record on FS after Google led me to it.

I see that they have mistranscribed her surname - for a moment got excited about discovering a maiden name! But it's great to have confirmation of her second name anyway, and also very useful to be able to positively identify Eli's signature as the same as that on the marriage certificate with Jane Court Stanway. So actually a very useful piece of information to have.

Also interesting to learn about Freedman's bank, which was apparently created for African Americans after the American Civil War in 1865, but eventually failed and closed in 1874. Who knows why Eli chose that bank? - But handy that he did, because I doubt that there'd be many other banking records available from that period.

I can't believe how much time I'm spending on this somewhat peripheral family, but I guess you know what's it's like once one discovers mysteries and then a few clues...