Author Topic: British Army - 71st Foot and Royal Canadian Rifle  (Read 1751 times)

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Army - 71st Foot and Royal Canadian Rifle
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 March 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gortonboy. 

I'm not sure this is the same family.  On the baptismal records I found it stated the father John Cannon was a Private with the 71st Foot Regiment.  The index you have shared is for the 100th Foot.  Would the regiments be separate or combined for reporting information?

Jerri
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 March 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure either.....just thought I would post in case it was relevant. Can't see any further military births with father in 71st foot.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pathas66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 June 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
I am researching a distant relative who on his wives 2nd marriage in Edinburgh in 1984 is described as the "relic of Private William McIntyre late soldier in the 71st regiment of foot".
There marriage took place in 1831 also at st cuthberts in Edinburgh and their daughter Isabella McIntyre (nee Middlemass)was born in Ireland in about 1837/8. they probably also had a son Adam born about a year before his sister.
The regiment would fit into his movements but he probably was in Canada when he died.... any ideas?
I seem to have looked everywhere but cant find him!

Offline pathas66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 June 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
sorry 1841 not 1941!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
The 71st was in Canada April 1838 to Dec 1844 which might fit with a birth in the year before he went?

The situation with his name in the muster rolls is the same as the earlier answer relating to John Cannon.  He (Macintyre) would be listed in the 1838-1844 period and then in one of the muster books his death would be recorded.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia